New to this

nurseslaughter
on 10/10/14 7:48 am

First off I am very new to this, so I apologize if I sound dumb about any of it. I have struggled with my weight my whole life.  I currently weigh 244lbs at 5'3". My doctor has suggested the gastric sleeve.  I am very nervous and have a consult next month. I am a nurse, and have seen horror stories so I am looking for success stories!! Can someone tell me theirs?? Thank you!

Valerie G.
on 10/10/14 8:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Go up to the Forums link at the top of the page, and do a search by surgery type, you'll find Vertical Sleeve and it will take you to a captive audience.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

nurseslaughter
on 10/11/14 12:47 pm

Thank you

Gwen M.
on 10/10/14 9:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well, I had my sleeve in March.  I started major diet changes in January.  I've lost 108 pounds since the beginning of the year and life is pretty amazing.  I exercise 10+ hours a week, I'm running my first 5k ever next weekend, I still love food and enjoy every bite I eat.  

I had one complication around month 3 - I had some weird spasm issue and had to take an antispasmodic for a week.  No problems other than that or since then!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/10/14 9:27 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm still in the losing phase, so my perspective on the success of my sleeve is still short term.

But I LOVE it.  I needed restriction since I was a quantity eater.  The sleeve is perfect for me because it limits the amount of food I can eat.  I have completely changed how and what I eat and I feel so much better.  I've lost 138 pounds since surgery and 195 pounds overall.  I've seen very few complications with the sleeve since I've been on OH.  Many times complications are caused by patients not following their doctor's instructions.  Other times it's completely random, like Gwen's experience.  

The recovery time from the sleeve can be very minimal.  I was no longer taking any pain meds when I left the hospital after two days.  Don't be too worried.  As a nurse, you would see the horror stories rather than the successes.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

newchange2885
on 10/10/14 1:12 pm

I am just like you, I am new to this. I just had my consult on October 8, 2014 and now I am working on getting all of my medical clearances, psychology evaluation so I can get approved. I am 5 '6' weigh 215 lb. I am a size 14 but having difficulties with my diabetes and I have high blood pressure. After having my three children is when I starting having weigh gain. My weigh will go up and down, up and down and now I decided to change my life. Like you I am scared. I was an Emergency Clinical Technician and like you said say bad things. I am going to put my trust in God and know that he will be there for me. I don't want the sleeve, I am getting gastric bypass. 

I have friends and family members that have received the gastric bypass and their surgeries were just fine and they are doing well... So trust in God and I wish you many blessings during your process..

zballard
on 10/10/14 2:01 pm - NYC, NY
VSG on 10/08/14

I am a RN also and just had the sleeve done on Wednesday. So far so good. I weighted my options. To continue to struggle with the weight or nip it in the bud with surgery and maintain my ability to function and the need to function out weighted the bad that I've heard and seen. Unfortunately we never hear the good because they are out and about enjoying life and you would be totally surprised to know they had surgery. I'm only in my early 40's and decided that I will have a shortened career ( knees, back, feet hurting) if I don't do something soon. So far I have lost 18lbs and look forward to going back to work in 6 weeks looking and feeling good. I am very happy with my decision to do the gastric sleeve.

5ft HW 244 SW      

MsBatt
on 10/12/14 6:49 am

I have the Duodenal Switch, so I have both a Sleeved stomach and an intestinal bypass. I can say that my Sleeve has been wonderful to live with. It feels completely 'normal', and it is---it's  just a much smaller, but still fully-functional, stomach. The only real difference I've ever noticed is that unlike pre-op, my stomach feels full and satisfied on a small-normal portion, and stays that way for about 3 hours. Pre-op, I was hungry ALL THE TIME.