They cancelled me IN PRE-OP!!

Gwen M.
on 10/10/14 9:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Wow, how frustrating!  I'm so glad that this was caught before surgery, though!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/10/14 9:17 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I cannot imagine how devastating this must be for you.  I'm so sorry.

But the anesthesiologist made the right call.  If your potassium is that critically low, they would endanger your health to proceed with surgery.  

This is an easy fix.  Take the potassium capsules for several weeks and get your labs checked.  Don't give up on surgery because your body was not ready for it yet.  I know it's frustrating, but never give up.  There's a remedy to this and it's not painful.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Chilipepper
on 10/10/14 9:58 am

Thank god he caught that.  Or you wouldn't be on here today.. It's just a setback. Cancel the hotel or ask if you can postpone your reservation. I had one that charged me one nights stay and gave me back the rest of my money.  You can get a doctors note and apply for FMLA when you do have surgery. There are ways to look at this, "that man is a saint and saved my life today and when my numbers are better they will operate". Or forget about the whole thing and blame the doctors. I think you were blessed today and look at it that way.

i know it's disappointing but it's only a small setback. Hugs

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NYMom222
on 10/10/14 10:46 am
RNY on 07/23/14

God answered your prayers for that day, as the Doctor said, today is not the day. Are you on medication for high Blood Pressure? I was on a medication for high blood pressure that had a diuretic in it. It caused my potassium to be very low even though according to the Doctor this combo of medicines wasn't supposed to do that. But for me it did. I was on potassium for a long time. I still take B/P medicine, but I was able to come off the diuretic portion and the potassium right after surgery, and my potassium been fine.  One of the best sources of dietary potassium is Low Sodium V-8 juice. I buy the six pack of small 5 oz cans. I make a 'virgin' bloody mary with it to spice it up. Take a breath, and let things come into order, then see whether you are done or not. This could just be a bump in the road. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

purplecow
on 10/10/14 10:52 pm
On October 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, NYMom222 wrote:

God answered your prayers for that day, as the Doctor said, today is not the day. Are you on medication for high Blood Pressure? I was on a medication for high blood pressure that had a diuretic in it. It caused my potassium to be very low even though according to the Doctor this combo of medicines wasn't supposed to do that. But for me it did. I was on potassium for a long time. I still take B/P medicine, but I was able to come off the diuretic portion and the potassium right after surgery, and my potassium been fine.  One of the best sources of dietary potassium is Low Sodium V-8 juice. I buy the six pack of small 5 oz cans. I make a 'virgin' bloody mary with it to spice it up. Take a breath, and let things come into order, then see whether you are done or not. This could just be a bump in the road. Good Luck!

Yes NYMom222, I take Hyzaar/HCTZ. They said that coupled with the Bowel Prep just depleted my potassium levels.  Thanks, I will definitely try adding that extra dietary potassium too. The virgin bloody mary sounds great!  Thank you for the info!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/10/14 10:49 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Your body just wasn't ready for the surgery, but are you really done? It's a setback, frustrating & all that but do you want to go back to diet & exercise without your tool to help you? You'll have setbacks post op too, does that mean you'd quit & go back to the old way of eating after you've come so far? Be easy on yourself, your body just needs time to get healthy enough to pull you thru surgery. 

Getting potassium by IV is not pleasant by any means. I had to get it when I first was hospitalized for diabetes. It's like having liquid fire in your arm. I asked why couldn't I just have bananas or gatorade, nope it wouldn't be enough. I was that low. I couldn't sleep & I was dead tired, pretty much had to pass out b4 I could sleep. Get healthy, then get the surgery. Don't give up.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

purplecow
on 10/10/14 10:54 pm
On October 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM Pacific Time, 1lasttime wrote:

Your body just wasn't ready for the surgery, but are you really done? It's a setback, frustrating & all that but do you want to go back to diet & exercise without your tool to help you? You'll have setbacks post op too, does that mean you'd quit & go back to the old way of eating after you've come so far? Be easy on yourself, your body just needs time to get healthy enough to pull you thru surgery. 

Getting potassium by IV is not pleasant by any means. I had to get it when I first was hospitalized for diabetes. It's like having liquid fire in your arm. I asked why couldn't I just have bananas or gatorade, nope it wouldn't be enough. I was that low. I couldn't sleep & I was dead tired, pretty much had to pass out b4 I could sleep. Get healthy, then get the surgery. Don't give up.

I love your name, 1lasttime....think I will try it one last time :)

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 11:00 am

I am sorry your surgery was cancelled.  The blood work done pre surgery did save your life, though.  Please don't give up.  I understand you being very upset, I would too.  I think I would have been very shaken by the low potassium levels more than the surgery being cancelled, because I don't want to die.  You may have hoops to jump through, but by all means, do not give up.  The bariatric co-ordinator should be ashamed of herself and I would report her.  Please try again when your potassium levels are higher.

purplecow
on 10/10/14 10:41 pm

Hey everyone!  thank you all for all the replies.  Today is a new day; and I will re-evaluate everything.  I started my 20 meq Potassium and hopefully we will make another try of it.  Yes, I agree, that doc did save my life--he is a Saint for sure.  Yes Kelly, that's exactly what I'm saying--she wanted a "false high" for the surgery to proceed--that REALLY bothers me girl. 

You ALL are so wonderful and caring and I appreciate that.  I was super down and cried more than I ever have I believe.  I will defintately keep everyone updated :)

marymo362
on 10/11/14 11:22 am
RNY on 03/18/14

Wow, how disappointing and not obviously in keeping with your plan. However....so good you are safe and alive. This will happen for you. it will.

In my thoughts

Mary

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

Most Active