They cancelled me IN PRE-OP!!

purplecow
on 10/10/14 6:02 am

Hi everyone. I'm not really sure what to say. I'm devastated to say the least.
I'm numb and not really sure where my life goes from here b/c all my future plans totally evolved around the idea of "post surgical" Cindy.
So...I was in pre-op this morning; and they were getting ready to roll me back to the Operating Room, IV in, fluids going, nurses scrubbed up, etc.. The Anesthesiologist came in and abruptly said he was cancelling my surgery because as he put it -- "you could arrest." He stated my potassium was critically low at 2.8.
For all of my non-clinical friends, potassium is the essential electrolyte that has a narrow therapeutic range of 3.5-5. Mine wasn't just low--it was CRITICALLY LOW. They did repeat labs and it remained unchanged. Potassium's job is to keep your muscles contracting, such as when you walk or the beating of your heart. Your heart is a muscle about the size of a clenched fist and it takes Potassium to make it contract (beat). Without Potassium, or if it gets too low-- we flat line, i.e., code-go into cardiac arrest
.  Before I really knew it, they started taking my IV out, gave me my bag of clothes and said get dressed and call us when your Potassium is regulated at a safe level.
The Anesthesiologist saw the confusion on my face I guess, and took my hand and said "Cindy, I don't want to have to do chest compressions on you today. The stars are not aligned for you today dear. God is not ready for you."
Funny thing is, even this morning before going into pre-op, I asked God to "block this surgery" if he foreseen something that would take me away from my family. Well....it was, as I stated, abruptly cancelled.
Yes, God was looking out for me, I get that. And I am truly thankful.
But I am also human. I feel lost and confused. I'm beyond devastated right now. And truthfully, I don't know where to go from this point forward.
I asked my doc if he could just give me a K-Rider (IV Potassium) to boost my levels; he told me no b/c it would take "many riders" and overall just wouldn't be safe. He thought it would be best if I took several weeks of Potassium by mouth followed with frequent labs and then re-schedule. 

What was really distressing was my Bariatric Coordinator ask the doc, "can't we just shake the tube of blood to "burst" the red blood cells to release the potassium?" Basically to give it a false reading --enough to go ahead with surgery!
Well everyone, that was Round 2. I just don't know if I'm up to trying again. I've taken PTO, used vacation time, spent money for the Hotel and bowel prep meds ($41 to be exact), gas driving back and forth to Atlanta and the wear on my truck. I'm done

iloveravens
on 10/10/14 6:16 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I'm so sorry to hear this!!  :(  Will you give it another try?  I am one hour north of Atlanta, btw.  I've heard nothing but great things about Dr. Macik.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

purplecow
on 10/10/14 10:45 pm
On October 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, iloveravens wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear this!!  :(  Will you give it another try?  I am one hour north of Atlanta, btw.  I've heard nothing but great things about Dr. Macik.

Yes ma'am, he is one of the best I hear.  Hopefully, it will all work out next time.

MARIA F.
on 10/11/14 2:03 pm - Athens, GA

I'm not too far away. I'm in the Athens area.

FormerlyFluffy.com

MARIA F.
on 10/11/14 2:04 pm - Athens, GA

I'm not too far away. I'm in the Athens area.

FormerlyFluffy.com

56sunShine14
on 10/10/14 7:32 am

Hi PurpleCow,

That is so heartbreaking and I am sorry you had to go through this.  Please don't give up on your surgery. Can you look at it like:

you said you asked God that if something was going to happen to take you from your family, would He please stop the surgery.  Right?  He stopped it in the nick of time sweetie, but that didn't mean He meant to cancel it out completely for you.  Go forward, get your levels SAFE and see if He will allow it to go through then.  At THAT time, if something comes up to stop it, I would throw in the towel on a surgical answer and try to lose weight without.  I know how hard that would be but you really deserve one more chance.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

purplecow
on 10/10/14 10:46 pm
On October 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Pacific Time, 56sunShine14 wrote:

Hi PurpleCow,

That is so heartbreaking and I am sorry you had to go through this.  Please don't give up on your surgery. Can you look at it like:

you said you asked God that if something was going to happen to take you from your family, would He please stop the surgery.  Right?  He stopped it in the nick of time sweetie, but that didn't mean He meant to cancel it out completely for you.  Go forward, get your levels SAFE and see if He will allow it to go through then.  At THAT time, if something comes up to stop it, I would throw in the towel on a surgical answer and try to lose weight without.  I know how hard that would be but you really deserve one more chance.

Thank you 56sunShine

poet_kelly
on 10/10/14 8:07 am - OH

The bariatric coordinator wanted to get a false reading in order to go ahead with surgery that would be dangerous for you?!  Did I understand that right?  That's horrifying!  I would report that to his or her supervisor!  Thank goodness the doctor didn't go along with that.  I guess the coordinator really doesn't care about patient safety at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

purplecow
on 10/10/14 10:46 pm
On October 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

The bariatric coordinator wanted to get a false reading in order to go ahead with surgery that would be dangerous for you?!  Did I understand that right?  That's horrifying!  I would report that to his or her supervisor!  Thank goodness the doctor didn't go along with that.  I guess the coordinator really doesn't care about patient safety at all.

My exact thoughts Kelly!

C H
on 10/10/14 8:54 am

sorry about them cancelling the surgery. when i was 8 months pregnant i had to be admitted for low potassium, when they did the i.v. treatment it was the worst feeling, felt like my whole arm was burning. if you were low didnt they need to admit you for your levels to go up?