Trouble swallowing liquids - first week!

thecookiefairy
on 10/6/14 12:56 am
with

I had surgery on the 30th of September. I am still on liquids and have really only moved up to a thin muscle milk proten shake. Every time I take a drink, I feel a pain in my back and then feel like I have to burp! I can't figure out why this is happening. I am doing little bitty swallows. Am I taking in too much still?

Kate -True Brit
on 10/6/14 3:12 am - UK

Which surgery?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

thecookiefairy
on 10/6/14 7:29 am
with

Vertical Sleeve - it doesn't happen all the time..just with anything other than water consistency!

kheinz
on 10/6/14 1:08 pm
RNY on 07/23/14 with

Have you tried a straw?  Totally helped me!

Valerie G.
on 10/6/14 4:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Call your surgeon.  It could be as simple as a need for a PPI, or something serious is wrong - especially if you cannot take in liquids.

Call NOW

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TheNewT
on 10/6/14 5:14 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I had trouble swallowing. I had to try different temperatures of liquids. I changed from a drinking glass to a plastic bottle. I made my sips minuscule. What worked the best for me was walking while I drank. I mean power walking while I took sips of my liquids. The burp feeling was no where as painful when I kept it moving. But as always, consult your surgeon to ensure everything is A-OK with you. That's what they are there for.

kathkeb
on 10/6/14 10:31 am

I had a hiatal hernia repaired during my band surgery.

I think that due to that, I may have been more swollen than the average patient ..... Drinking was rigorous and painful for about the first 10 days.

It is always a good idea to call your doctor, but it also helped me to take tiny, tiny sips .... Like 4 ounces per hour .. Sipping out of a 2 tablespoon, medicine size cup every 15 minutes 

Kath