No weight loss

WendyEdwards
on 10/6/14 4:08 am

I have had the band in aug.  I lost 5lb per op and lost 15 the first 3 weeks after surgery but nothing since.  I have had one fill. getting another this week.  I am eating less then 1000 cal. a day and walking 5 days aweek on a tread mill and am active on the weeks.  I drink nothing bu****er....why am I not loosing.  How is it even possible, to go from 3000 cal aday or more to 1000 aday and loose NO weight.....what am I doing wrong.

charminglearner
on 10/6/14 6:28 am
RNY on 10/27/14

This would be incredibly frustrating to anyone.  Don't despair.  Keep it up.  I find when I can't lose weight even if I'm trying really hard that it turns out I'm not drinking enough water or not getting enough sleep or something's happening that's still throwing my system off.  Take care of yourself.  It will come.  

MsBatt
on 10/6/14 7:56 am

How many weeks total since you got your Band? A stall starting about 3 weeks after surgery is pretty normal, and it can last several weeks.

Have you done a lot of dieting in the past? Did you lose well then, or was it a struggle for each and every pound? If you've dieted a lot  and/or never lost well, there's a good chance your metabolism is VERY efficient and can run your body on very few calories. You might do better with a different form of WLS, one that affects your metabolism positively. (All too often, the Band affects your metabolism negatively.)

Poodlemac
on 10/6/14 8:07 am
RNY on 09/26/14
Bette B.
on 10/6/14 11:21 am

Jesus. If you had the band in AUGUST, I'm pretty sure the last thing you want to hear is "too bad, you should have picked a different surgery." Way to be supportive folks.

Okay, let's get some things straight - and this comes from someone WHO HAS A BAND. You're not that far out: relax a little. It's been 2 months and, IMHO, it's too early for you to start freaking out. Take a deep breath. Or two. Or five.

A plateau or slow down in nothing unexpected. 2 months out from MY surgery,  I lost ONE freaking pound. When my plateau ended I lost something like 5 pounds overnight. You're body's recovering from surgery and fighting against the fact that you're running it on a third of the calories it's accustomed to. Google "starvation mode". Some people think it's crap but I think there's a lot of truth to it. 

How have you felt after you fills? Do you feel any difference? Sometimes it takes a few fills before you feel anything, depending on your physiology and how aggressively your doc is filling you. Are you feeling full on small amounts of food, and how long do you keep that "full feeling"? That will usually be your sign for whether or not you are at the proper fill level. Talk to your doc about how you feel your are doing, and ask him/her if you maybe need slightly larger fills.

But most of all, try to stay focused on what it is a long road - a marathon, not a hundred meter dash. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

WendyEdwards
on 10/6/14 11:53 pm

I feel fine....I started out with 4.5cc.....I have only had one fill and that was 1cc so I am at a total of 5.5cc.  If I eat slowly...I do get the feeling of full, but it only last about 2 hours if I am lucky. somedays are better then others.  I have heard about 'Starvation Mode" but wasn't sure how acurate it was....I cant seem to rap my head around the concept.  My daugter had the band in May and has lost 52 lbs....she consistantly looses 1 to 2 lbs a week....and has never had a stall...I realize she is much younger and it is easier for a young person to loose.  I know others that have had the band and they have also been successful.  I am trying not to compare myself to others I know this is counter productive....but that is hard to do also....

I also drink a good bit of water and take a multi vitamin daily  BTW thanks for the support

Bette B.
on 10/7/14 12:50 am

Comparing yourself is one of the most self-defeating things you can do. If you lose SLOWER, you're a failure. If you lose FASTER, something's f-ed up. 

My surgeon has always said that feeling full but not keeping that feeling is a sign that you need a fill. And keep in mind that you probably will need fills (and so will your daughter) on an on-going basis as you lose more weight.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

kheinz
on 10/6/14 1:06 pm
RNY on 07/23/14 with

Are you measuring?  It really helps!

WendyEdwards
on 10/6/14 11:54 pm

Not litterally , but I cook and can eyeball I know what a cup is just by looking....but I am consistantly watching every calorie....and I am consistanly under 300 cal per meal with NO snacking.  I only drink water, so no liquid cal.

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/14 1:47 am - Centennial, CO

Factors like age and body type can affect how fast you can shed extra pounds. Older people , for example, often lose weight more slowly, perhaps because of hormonal changes and/or because of less muscle mass or may be needed more physically active. If you just continue your daily activity at the end you may see the result. Don't lost hope.                                         

Bariatric Surgery in India -