Can you get revision surgery if you've had the gastric bypass?

blair_ny
on 10/5/14 9:47 pm - Camden, NY

I began my journey in 2010 beginning weight near 295 lbs. my lowest was 140lbs my current surgeons team says that they don't do revision surgeries. I'm now at 225 lbs and going up I've done everything from increasing protein and exercise to the 5 day pouch test journaling ect. Now my primary is saying I'm borderline diabetic. I want a revision but I don't know who does it and how to begin the process I'm in danger zone and I'm scared. I am currently on Medicaid and I need help I'm up for all suggestions but please no bashing I've been crying non stop and feel like I've failed myself and my family please help!!!

Vivian Prouty
on 10/5/14 10:22 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Yes you can get a revision with gastric bypass.    They can either go in and make your pouch smaller ( I assume that your pouch is stretched out and that is why you've regained ).   First call your Medicaid office and see if it is covered...then if it is...ask if they can refer you to a surgeon to do your revision.   So sorry that you've had trouble with your gastric bypass.    Please don't beat yourself up over this.    Baby steps first....find out if it's covered and then go from there.   You will be in my prayers that this will be covered for you and that there will be a surgeon nearby to help you out.    Oh I believe you might be a candidate for DS as well.   Good luck.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/6/14 12:36 am

Is there anything wrong with the surgery you had? What surgery did you have? Why do you think your are gaining the weight?  Do you still have restrictions?  Or is it the diet? How is your diet and exercise? 

How about blood work?  

If your diet is not very good - most likely no new surgery can help you long term...sorry... Unless you can change what and how much you eat - specially simple carbs - no surgery can fix you.long term...it is simple fact - no bashing. 

I know it is very hard to stick to good diet...i work on it every day...to maintain or lose what i gained.....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 10/6/14 4:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yes, you can definitely get a revision.  There is a whole board out here dedicated to people just like you.  Click on the Forums menu up above, then under surgery Type - choose Revision.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 10/6/14 8:26 am

There are several different ways to revise an RNY. Some work better than others.

The first thing you need to find out is whether you have a mechanical failure. This would be something like a disrupted staple line (not very likely, because in 2010 I think almost ALL surgeons transected the pouch from the remnant stomach---but yours might not have), a stretched pouch (again, not very likely, since the pouch is made from the least stretchy part of the stomach), a fistula (pretty rarer---it's when the body grows a connection between the pouch and the remnant stomach), or a stretched stoma---which is the most common form of mechanical failure.

Assuming you DO have a stretched stoma, there are several procedures that attempt to make it smaller. Most of the DON'T WORK. The newest, the Apollo Overstitch, shows good promise, but there's just no long-term data yet. There's also the option of placing a LapBand over the pouch or stoma, and some people have had wonderful results. (But I can't help but wonder what happens in ten years or less when the Band HAS to come out. What then?)

The penultimate RNY revision is to completely take the RNY down and revise to a Duodenal Switch. This form of revision has shown a LOT of long-term success, but there are very few surgeons who do this, and I seriously doubt you'll find one that accepts Medicaid---IF Medicaid even covers it.

Have you tried doing the Atkins induction? Basically it's cutting out every possible carb (eating 20 or fewer a day****il you go into ketosis. (You can buy things called KetoStix that you pee on and they change color if you're in ketosis.)

When you're in ketosis, your body is burning fat for energy. Over-eating carbs will immediately kick you OUT of ketosis, so you'll have to watch your carbs VERY carefully.

huskergalWsD
on 10/6/14 2:07 pm

This kind of question reminds me of what my surgeons nurse told me,  I inquired about the same thing when I was about 3 years post op.. Not that I needed it just curious,she warned me to never go back and have more surgeries as it causes more scar tissue then more complications start.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~