Protein Supplements

Deborahq
on 10/5/14 12:49 am

Good Morning,

I'm looking for a brand of Protein Powder, Protein Bar and Protein Shake/Drink that you have tried and found most appropriate for surgery.

I'm sensitive to advertising from sellers and there are just so many choices available it's very overwhelming.  I thought soliciting advice from folks who have "walked the walk" may be helpful in narrowing it down.

Have a lovely day,

Deb

Bubbles314
on 10/5/14 2:47 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi,

My Dr recommended several brand name shakes around our area to purchase. Also gave me a calorie limit.

I liked the Syntrax Nectar protein shakes myself.  Chocolate is my favorite flavor but I did not like the chocolate shakes.  To my surprise I liked the Vanilla Bean Torte, and the Fuzzy Naval the best.  You can get them on Amazon or at Vitamin Shopp.  I got the sample packets first then purchased the larger container.  I have surgery tomorrow so I haven't tried protein bars yet, but others on OH say the Quest bar is good and the protein, carbs, and calories are fairly good, also depends on what flavor I guess. 

Good luck

Poodlemac
on 10/5/14 5:29 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I've heard the Premier Protein chocolate shakes taste just like a milkshake. They have 30gm protein which is awesome. I can only find them at sams here so I haven't gotten any yet. They come highly recommended from the support group and the nutritionist at the hospital. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/5/14 6:31 am - OH

What a dozen other people may rave about may make you absolutely gag, so it is always better if you can actually try a sample (if the manufacturer sells samples or even if someone who uses it is willing to give you a sample to try) before you buy a whole container.

Many people have to go through a LOT of powders before they find a couple that really work for them, even if they have tried them before surgery (tastes may change significantly after surgery).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/5/14 6:28 am - OH

It won't really a question of "most appropriate" as long as it is whey or egg white protein (soy protein is an option but does not absorb as well).  It is more a question of which ones you individually like and van tolerate the smell and texture of.  There is a LOT of variation in what protein supplements people like... Probably more than anything else in life, LOL... and a dozen people might rave about a particular protein powder but you cannot stand the taste, smell, or texture!

The best thing you can do is get a bunch of samples to try yourself after surgery.  (you can try them before surgery, but what you can tolerate now may be very different than what you can stand to drink after surgery.)

Please don't run out and buy a big tub of something just because people on here recommended it.  You very well may end up with a huge tub of expensive powder that makes you gag (literally).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 10/5/14 7:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Get a bunch of single serving packets of different brands and flavors, then save them for after your surgery.  Anything you try today and like you may absolutely hate post-op, so don't spend a lot on anything right now until you figure out what sucks less.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

BurberryPlaid
on 10/5/14 7:44 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

I definitely recommend getting samples. I bought about 20 from nashuanutrition.com I also bought a sampler from unjury.com 

happyteacher
on 10/5/14 8:35 am

My go to options in order of most used:

1. RTD Pure Protein (Costco just started carrying Strawberry here- woo hoo!). Best prices at Sams and Costco.

2. Chike awesome iced coffee

3. EAS carbadvantage- great flavor profile for the chocolate, 100 calories for the times a shake with higher calories is too much.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Char1Char
on 10/6/14 4:29 am

Love Pure Protein bars, Quest bars and Premier protein chocolate and vanilla shakes - Costco. Actually, the Premier shakes were pretty much the only thing I could keep down following surgery. 

Deborahq
on 10/6/14 11:08 am

Thanks to all of you *****plied to my post.  I didn't know you could get samples - excellent advice!  

Deb