Terrified of Anethsia

Bubbles314
on 10/4/14 7:57 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Hi

I have had many surgeries (5).  I too have a problem with anesthesia and get scared everytime.  I think, "what if I don't wake up?"  My dear sister responded once, "you won't know if you don't wake up" your worrying for nothing.  Cold but true.  It was of no comfort to me.  The difference this time is I am choosing to have wls, the other surgeries I had no choice.  I never dream under gas or have nightmares and it is just as a previous poster said you count backward from 100 and you wake up, the counting is the last thing you remember.  Tell your Anesthesiologist your concerns and he will help make you more comfortable.  Best of luck to you, ti should be ok.

Luvmygs
on 10/4/14 9:08 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I've had 4 surgeries and yes my first one was a little scary. It was the unknown. But after experiencing the first one, piece of cake the other 3. Ask the nurse to give you something to calm your nerves. Its true, they give you something in your IV and before you know it, you're waking up in recovery! Hopefully you'll meet the anesthesiologist and let him/her know your concerns. Piece of cake!

Large_1
on 10/4/14 9:29 am
with

Ask them to give you something before they put you under, I did that and I woke up like nothing ever happened, hours later

Valerie G.
on 10/4/14 10:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was given an IV a while before they brought me to the OR.  I was feeling O K A Y and don't even remember the mask going on.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NateH
on 10/4/14 10:48 am, edited 10/4/14 10:49 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I got a shot of something in my IV before they wheeled me off. I have no idea what type of drug it was, but it was glorious. I remember laughing my head off and asking "Am I laughing?". Everything was easy, I was calm. The anesthesiologist said "Ready? Here we go!" to which I laughed "Now?". Next thing I know I'm in my room with my family and not sure why everyone is staring at me. And I can't find my glasses. I need my glasses! 

It's normal to be scared, just think of the positive change you're making and be calm. Breathe and everything will be ok. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Vicki PNW
on 10/4/14 11:04 am

I have had a number of operations and have always been given "happy ****tails" thru IVs before being wheeled into the OR.  Once in the OR, I move from gurney to the table and lay there in my own world.  The next thing I know, I am in the recovery room!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

mellabella115
on 10/4/14 4:27 pm - North York, Canada

OMG... lol me too ive never been in the hospital for anything!  Im terrified also ...4 days yo go for me

MyLady Heidi
on 10/4/14 4:54 pm

No fear of it from me, I have had a few sugeries, no issue.  Tip, ask the anaestesia doc for evrything to prevent  nauseau after surgery, they will put a patch on you etc, believe me it works and helps.

MsBatt
on 10/5/14 2:29 am

For me, general anesthesia is like someone turning a light off. It's like someone flipped a switch and I was out. Then some time later, they flipped it again and I was awake, with absolutely no sensation that any time had passed. (Very unlike going to sleep, when I always awaken with the sensation of time having passed.)