Terrified of Anethsia

Oliviawashere
on 10/4/14 2:13 am

Has anyone been scared of going under anesthesia? I am scared beyond beleif, I think I am more scared of that, then any part of the procedure. I have never been under anethesia, once laughing gas and I thought I was dying (not from pain, but just utter crazyness.) I am scared I am going to go in, not wanting them to put the mask on me, afraid I'm going to die or wake up during the procedure. Very nervous of the effects, and if I will wake up screaming or have bad horrible dreams while under it.

jenorama
on 10/4/14 2:22 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I'd had surgery before (when I was 9), and I was pretty nervous about going under too. I reminded myself that thousands and thousands of people have surgery every day with no trouble. Also, before being wheeled into the OR, I got a shot of Versed which makes you not care about anything. 

Share your fears with the docs and ask for something calming. They should be able to help you out. 

Good luck!

Jen

Bette B.
on 10/4/14 2:23 am

I have to say that it never bothered me. The IV was set up far before the surgery (when I was in the pre-op area) so when I got into the OR, all they had to do was add the med to the line. I remember counting back to about 97, then waking up and not knowing why I was in a hospital. I thought I had been in a car accident.

No fear, no terror, no dreams/nightmares, no memory of anything between 97 and waking up.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

BurberryPlaid
on 10/4/14 2:45 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

That's the scariest part for me as well but both timesI had surgery it went perfectly. 

They gave me adavan in pre-op to help me relax and I met the anesthesiology team *****assured me they'd be looking out for me the whole time. That helped so much! I took a few deep breaths and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.

Have faith - they do this every day and they will take care of you!

kathkeb
on 10/4/14 6:02 am

I have the most soothing memory of the nurse in my OR stroking my hand and saying, "I'm going to take really good care of you".

Last thing I remember about the whole process, but it was so comforting ...a dn 5 years later I still remember her kindness.

Kath

NYMom222
on 10/4/14 2:57 am
RNY on 07/23/14

My girlfriend just had her gall bladder out and was the same way. She told the anesthesiologist she was terrified and he said asked her of what, she said the mask. No problem, So they gave her something through the IV to put her out before the mask went on. I think everyone is fearful to some extent it is normal. For me it was 'I am having an elective surgery suppose I don't come out of it?' I kept telling myself, my surgeon has had no one die in 4,000+ surgeries, what makes me think I will be the first one? You will be grateful when you are on the other side. It is good to talk about your fears, but then you have to tell yourself it is worth it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kathkeb
on 10/4/14 5:58 am

Modern anesthesia is very safe, and generally has an amnesiac effect ... Where you wake with no recollection of going under.

Speak to your surgeon and to the anesthesiologist and explain your fear.

They can relax you through IV meds before they mask you.   You will not have to see or feel the mask at all.

It is very common to be nervous, and even scared.  Your doctor can help you through it!!

Kath

chevtow41
on 10/4/14 6:29 am
DS on 11/11/14

I've had many surgeries and I always remember talking to the doctor and nurses, then next thing you know surgery is over. It's like no time has passed. I did wake up once when I was 12, I DON'T remember it but the staff sure does. I ended up ripping out my IV and basically causing a ruckus ( I was almost 6ft tall at 12). Mind you this was almost 30 years ago and much more advanced now - I've had ZERO issues since then.

poet_kelly
on 10/4/14 6:54 am - OH

I suggest talking to the anesthesiologist about your concerns.

When I had WLS, and when I had my gall bladder removed and when I had my breast biopsy, they didn't put any mask on me.  The anesthesia was given through my IV.

Ask the anesthesiologist how he or she will make sure you don't wake up during the procedure.  The anesthesiologist is there through the whole surgery  just to make sure you are safely asleep and that you keep breathing.  You are monitored really closely the entire time.  You can ask if he or she has ever had a patient wake up.  You can ask what the effects might be.  I think asking all those questions will help you feel less afraid of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/4/14 7:26 am, edited 10/4/14 7:27 am - OH

Yes, just let the anesthesiologist know that you are nervous about the mask.  (S)He can give you something to relax you enough that you won't care, LOL, or they can just wait and put the mask on after you are "out".  I have had it done all three ways (including mask going on first), so it definitely won't be a big deal for you ask them to not put the mask on first.

Death, although always a remote possibility, is VERY rare during surgery and I have NEVER heard of anyone waking up during a procedure! (I have even only heard one story of it allegedly  happening and it was one of  those cases of "my hairdresser's sister in law worked with someone whose husband's best friend said he woke up during his surgery", LOL.)

Occasionally, someone will start to come out of it while they are doing things in the recovery room like removing the breathing tube or catheter, but if you start to stir, they give you pain meds to put you right back out.  Someone will be constantly monitoring you during surgery and they would know if you were starting to come out of the anesthesia well before you would be aware of anything!

There is no need to fret: you won't remember anything from while you are under (you won't be dreaming), you will come out of the anesthesia very slowly, and will be very relaxed and groggy AS you come out of it, so there is almost no chance that you will experience anything negative.

You may be aware of pain as you are waking up, but as soon as someone hears you moan, they will likely give you an injection of morphine (or another pain med) and you will go back to sleep for a bit.  Eventually, you start to wake up and notice that you can hear but cannot speak or open your eyes.  Usually you can speak next and someone will ask if you have any pain or they will try to talk to you to get you more awake. They might ask if you are too cold or too hot, etc., and will just tell you that surgery is over and you are just fine. Eventually, you will be able to open your eyes again but will still feel very sleepy.  If you feel a little nauseous, they will give you an injection to eliminate that.

Most people report feeling as if no time at all has passed and -- other than having some physical discomfort -- wake up feeling very peaceful and relaxed.  Even people with severe PTSD or other anxiety disorders usually have no problem at all with the general anesthesia. (Like you, many of them are fearful of the mask over their face but, as I indicated, that is easily avoided if you just let them know.)

Please try not to worry.  The general anesthesia really isn't at all unpleasant in any way. The unpleasant part comes about 4 hours later when they make you get up and walk a few feet, LOL.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.