Vites and Nipples

Gwen M.
on 10/3/14 11:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My last few days have been a whirlwind due to oncology stuff for my dad and, in the middle of that, I got my 6 month lab results.  Back in May, everything was fine except my copper which was super high.  My doc told me to switch to a copper-free multi, which I did, and I had my optometrist check me for Wilson's Disease, which I don't have.  This time, my copper was even higher and my b6 was super high as well.  WTF.  I follow up with my PCP on Friday.. I'm guessing the next step might be to see a hematologist?  Does that sound likely?  

My left nipple has also been inverting a LOT.  Have any of you had this happen with weight loss?  I'm having a mammogram on Wednesday, just in case!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 10/3/14 1:48 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's probably best to see a hematologist. If you aren't taking too much copper, it might be that you aren't excreting it, so it could be a liver issue. Zinc and copper are connected -- more zinc results in decreased copper absorption, so maybe you could use more zinc. But what the hell do I know. Have a hematologist take a look.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lilly M.
on 10/3/14 7:55 pm
RNY on 09/10/14

Gwen,

It's good that you are having a mammogram this Wednesday, and you may want to disclose that you have had elevated levels of copper despite having eliminated supplemental copper from your diet in addition to detailing the approximate time period your nipple began to invert. I read and enjoy your posts all the time. Perhaps seeing a hematologist/oncologist would be a good next step. That is what I would do. Best to you

Revision from Nissen Fundoplication to Roux-en-Y on 09/10/14. HW (214) 05/12/14 SW (198.8)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/4/14 7:04 am - OH

Yes, definitely get the mammogram done and be sure to mention the inverted nipple to them.

I had an issue with my left nipple inverting, the areola becoming very pale, and the breast being somewhat swollen intermittently when I was still losing weight (so sometimes during the first 2 years).  I had a mammogram done and they asked me to wait while they had the doctor actually look at it!  I knew THAt was a bad sign. I was told to see a surgeon right away to get a biopsy.  They thought it was Inflammatory Breast Cancer.  I had a general surgeon I had used a couple of times before do the biopsy and I could tell he was worried after he did it. (IBC is a particularly lethal form of breast cancer and doesn't involve a lump.)

Fortunately, the biopsy was negative.  They gave me a short course of steroids and I had my massage therapist massage the lymph nodes.  It gradually went away.

I have absolutely nothing of value to add regarding the copper levels, but am curious about it.

Let us know what they say about both, ok?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gmantek
on 10/5/14 11:32 pm

I have nothing to add except that I will be thinking about you.  Please let us know how the PCP visit goes.  I'm sure it's all fine and all related to the rapid weight loss.