I'm New and Debating VSG Surgery

staci922
on 10/9/14 6:34 pm

Hello again, MsBatt! From what I have researched, between the RNY, DS, and VSG, I think the VSG would be my best option. For some reason I am really nervous about the bypass portion of WLS. Also, I am terrible about taking medications. But at the end of the day, it's all about what works for you -- and since you are doing so well so far, it seems you've made the best choice! Thanks again for all your help! Take care! :)

NYMom222
on 10/3/14 3:39 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Most Doctors I know of have informational seminars, maybe it would help to visit one or a few with your husband. It might make him more supportive. My niece had WLS (bypass) 10 years ago at the age of 25. She has kept off 120 pounds and would absolutely do it again... Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

staci922
on 10/9/14 6:38 pm

That's funny that you mention the seminars -- I have a few close by me that I am considering attending sometime in the near future. I think my husband is just scared, more than anything. And in some ways, I am too. But I think as long as all precautions are taken, and the surgery goes well, the benefits do far outweigh the negatives. Hearing stories, like your niece's inspires me so much to take the next steps and go through with WLS. There is no price to health or happiness, and if the surgery can give you that, I don't think there really is a better option. Thanks for all your help! 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/3/14 9:52 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Hi Staci and welcome! I have the same stats as you. I was 222 lbs at my highest weight and 208 when sleeved two years ago. We are the same height but I am twice your age. I considered WLS for a number of years before I took the plunge with the VSG. In fact about 6 or 7 years ago I went through the whole process to get the RNY and backed out at the last minute. So glad I didn't back out this time!!! The VSG was absolutely right for me. I am now around 120 lbs on most days and have fully reclaimed my life and health. I had no complications or any issues with this surgery or the two rounds of plastic surgeries that I had. I suppose I am lucky in the way I recover and bounce back.

definitely do your research on all the WLS options and go to a few seminars, get some consults with surgeons and discuss what would be best for you and your health. I was pretty keen on either the sleeve or the DS but my surgeon (who is a DS surgeon) recommended the sleeve for me. He thought the DS would be too strong a surgery in my case. Time will tell if he was right! The weight loss itself is just the beginning. The part that could be harder is maintaining for life after the initial loss when your restriction and motivation are not at their all time high as in the first year or so. 

There is a huge wealth of info on this forum and you should post on the different surgery forums as well.

as to your family's reaction and lack of support, it could just be that they are worried about you. Educate them as much as you can and maybe they will come around. Just this fact could convince them - of all the people who lose weight through diet and exercise alone, 95% gain it all back with interest. Your chances increase to 50% with the help of WLS. The risks associated with WLS are less than those guaranteed by obesity. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

staci922
on 10/9/14 6:44 pm

Hi Julia! Thanks for your thorough reply and congratulations on reaching your weight loss goals! For all the reasons you mentioned, WLS seems like the best option for me. I am also keen on the VSG, too, hopefully it will work for me and I will also lose the weight and keep it off long term. The statistics you mentioned are amazing, I had no idea that it was that hard to maintain weight loss for non-WLS patients. It also explains a lot about why I've had so much trouble doing so for the past 15 years. And I also agree about the dangers of obesity -- that is really why I want to surgery, not so much for any reasons of vanity. I just hope as I get older I can live a long, happy, and healthy life. Thanks for all your help! Take care! :)

alicefive
on 10/4/14 7:04 am

I too have been overweight my whole life.  I am now 55 years old.  I had the surgery at the end of January this year. I started out at 217 pounds and had major medical problems. I was on 13 medications. I had raging diabetes, high blood pressure and a host of other medical problems. I took up to 8 shots of insulin every day and my A1C was 13.9 the week before my surgery. Normal is 4-6.  I have nerve damage and eye damage from the diabetes.  I tried every diet in the book and the weight wouldn't stay off. I now wear a size 4.  I only have to take a tiny amount of insulin (usually one shot) every 3-4 weeks. My A1C is now in normal ranges. I am happier and healthier than I ever could have believed. Maybe if it were possible to have had the surgery when I was your age I wouldn't have any damage now. I guess what I am trying to say is that you are young and have your whole life ahead of you.  Being obese causes medical problems for almost everyone.  It could take years for the problems to surface but then the damage is done.  If you decide this is for you do whatever you have to do to make the surgery happen. Maybe you could go on your husbands medical insurance for a year or so. If you want to read about going to Mexico for the surgery, look up the blog theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com.  She went to Mexico for her surgery and also her plastic surgery. Her website is great. Do lots of research and read as much about it as you can. These forums can help you in your journey.  I was scared to death to have the surgery but I didn't have ANY complications and healed up quickly.  But you have to follow the plan and do what your doctors advise. Good luck!

staci922
on 10/9/14 6:53 pm

Hello Alice and thank for your reply! Your story is so inspiring and only affirms my decision to go through the surgery.Thank God you were lucky enough to have it and finally have your life back. Kudos to you!!! :) Thanks also for the eggface blog, I loved it! I am a little nervous about the doctor's plan, but I guess that comes with along with my fear that for some reason I think I will never lose this weight. It's been such a burden on my life for what seems like forever, and I hope one day I can rid myself of this dark shadow. Thanks again for your reply and good luck to you!!

alicefive
on 10/4/14 7:10 am

Forgot to say, I had the sleeve.

SnowbirdBaja
on 10/5/14 4:33 am
VSG on 08/08/14

Hi Stacy, welcome!  

What I would not have given to get my weight under control at the age of 25!  I had my surgery at the age of 62 and I am happy I got this opportunity  for the last stage of my life.  At this point in my life I do things that suit me and not others.   Surgery risks are lower than  being obese the rest of your life, that might be a good angle to use.  If your family is open to your reasons they will understand but if they are not open and just trying to convince you not to have it done you will need to decide if the fight is worth it.  

VSG  WITH DR WILHELMY      08/14      SLOW LIVING IN BAJA U_U

staci922
on 10/9/14 6:58 pm

Hello SnowbirdBaja! I agree with every single point you've made and congratulations on your weight loss success! About the obese dangers -- I have definitely pulled that card quite a few times, on both myself and my family, and I totally agree with your sentiments. Little by little my husband seems to be coming around; ultimately he just wants me to be happy and healthy I think. I also noticed you had your VSG done in Mexico with Dr. Wilhelmy. How was your experience? I am very curious to know as I am thinking about booking with Dr. Garcia in MX. Thank you for your input! It is very much appreciated. Take care! :)