I'm New and Debating VSG Surgery

staci922
on 10/2/14 2:57 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Staci and I'm 25 years old. This is my first time posting on any WLS forum. I am currently 200 lbs and 5'0. I am feeling desperate to get VSG surgery, as I have yo-yo'd since I was like 9 years old and I am just at the point where I feel so tired and disappointed with the constant battle to control my weight. 

It also seems like there are so many complications involved in the process. My insurance doesn't currently cover it, and my husbands employer's insurance does (it's open enrollment btw) but his plan is just sooo expensive. Also, no one really is supporting my decision, including my husband or the rest of my family. They all seem so overly concerned about all the risks involved, which I can't seem to find out much about online. :/

I guess what I'm asking is if the surgery is really worth it, even if my loved ones are against it? I really just want the chance to be healthy for once in my life and I want to diminish my risks for future health complications. Since I have no one to talk to who gets me IRL, I was hoping to make some friends on here who I can talk with to help me through the process. Also, anyone has some advice for me about the surgery regarding insurance, risks, or general support/info, please let me know. I would really appreciate it!

It's so nice to meet you all as well!! Thanks again!! :)  

Valerie G.
on 10/2/14 11:27 pm, edited 10/2/14 11:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hello Staci and welcome!

Having fought your weight since you were so young, I totally understand (because I was there too) how hopeless you feel.  You're probably a champion dieter already, but just don't see any results for your efforts.  Am I close?  Your family hasn't walked a mile in your shoes, so they don't understand the despair, or realize how long you've tried to make changes and the heartbreak of those changes never coming to be.  They may never get on board with you, but remind yourself that they love you, and are reacting because they are scared for you.  You're doing this for you, not them, so continue to push forward.

Before you settle on VSG, I highly recommend that you learn everything you can about the RNY (gastric bypass)  and DS (duodenal switch) as well as the VSG.  Each of these addresses obesity a little differently, and you want to find a good match for your personal needs.  Knowing your own history and how your body reacts to diet efforts, you can do this much more effectlvely than a surgeon during a 15 min consult visit.  This was my approach anyway, and had I not done this, I would have walked out with the same procedure eveyone at my office had.  I'm so glad I thought for myself, for I'm 9 years out and healthier than I've ever been since my DS.  Like you, I gained weight starting at puberty and just kept going no matter what I did.

There are pages out here on this board dedicated to each procedure along with many one-off's that aren't as common.  You want to know what they're asking about, complaining about and raving about.  You'll have a captive audience to ask questions specific to that procedure.  Also visit the board dedicated to Revision surgeries.  These are folks who have had complications or lack of results, and are seeking another procedure.  Find out their stories to get a better idea of the risks.  There is even a wls regrets board (or at least used to be).  The goal is to only get ONE surgery.  It's definitely NOT one-size-fits-all.

Once you spend some time out here and learn more, you'll be in a better position to stand your ground with the family.  They will love you either way, I promise.  I have no regrets at all for having my DS, and my mother was terrified.  She knew better than to try to talk me out of it - for I'm terribly stubborn, LOL, and she told me so.  When you know more, you'll be more at peace yourself as well.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

staci922
on 10/3/14 5:10 am

Hi Valerie! It's nice to meet you! Thanks for your understanding and pointing me in the right direction! 

I feel there are so many options for WLS which is a good thing but is also very confusing. I will definitely take your advice to learn as much as I can before making my final decision and will check all all the forums to read about other's experiences. Thanks again! :)

BurberryPlaid
on 10/3/14 12:06 am, edited 10/3/14 12:12 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

Honestly, only you can decide if this is the right decision for you. My advice to you is to do the research and don't let anyone influence you.

I have been overweight since the age of 5. Nothing I've ever done has helped keep off the weight for any reasonable amount of time. Last year I was diagnosed with diabetes and I gave myself a year to work on the weight. Well a year went by and no progress so I started researching weight loss surgery...the last thing I ever thought I'd do. 

I was very against RNY (great procedure but not for me) and the band was also a no because of the maintenance involved and amount of poor results I read about so I researched VSG. You mentioned "complications" and yes, there is always that possibility but for 99% of the patients who choose this option it is very safe and successful. I had my gallbladder out in 2007 and once I read that VSG was safer than that procedure, I knew it was for me.

I researched where I wanted to have my procedure done and found a center of excellence. I was pleased with everyone I met with and how thorough the pre-op program was. I met with my surgeon and asked her point blank about how many procedures she had performed and her rate of complications and she put me at ease...so I moved ahead. 

I am happy to report I was sleeved on Monday and so far so good. 

If you feel like you can't do it with diet and exercise alone and this tool will be of benefit to you, find a surgeon you are comfortable with and move forward.

Good luck with your decision.

staci922
on 10/3/14 5:22 am, edited 10/3/14 5:28 am

Hello and thanks for your reply and support! Congratulations on getting sleeved on Monday! It must feel like a dream come true for you to have such a healthy future to look forward to! 

Have you heard about having WLS in Mexico? I have seen many other posters say they've had good experiences with it. Since my insurance situation is complicated at this point, I am considering it an option. 

I agree with you that it is a personal decision we must individually feel comfortable with, but with so many questions, I feel like all input helps at this point. 

Thank you again for your feedback! Take care! :)

BurberryPlaid
on 10/4/14 3:06 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

I hadn't heard of Mexico as being an option until these boards. I think I would be extremely nervous to go there BUT there is a whole forum about getting sleeved in Mexico and as long as you found someone reputable I think it is a good option. I am so thankful I have great insurance and because of an agreement my insurance has with the hospital I chose the process took a lot less time than I thought it would (4 months)

staci922
on 10/9/14 6:30 pm

I totally know what you mean. If my insurance covered it, I would surely have the surgery closer to home. I think surgery is a risk anywhere, even in the US, and finding a reputable doctor is KEY. I am also glad to say that I've taken the next step and have reached out to several doctors in Mexico and I am feeling pretty confident in my decision. Thanks again for all your help. Good luck on your journey! :)

MsBatt
on 10/3/14 1:11 am

I went on my first doctor-supervised diet at age 9, my first diet pills at age 11. By the time I was your age, I'd dieted my way up to about 220.

I firmly believe that I, and many, many people like me, were born with a 'thrifty gene', that allowed my body to run very efficiently---so efficiently that, after a few diets to really crank things into overdrive, my body could store 4 out of every 5 calories I ate. Diets just made it more and more efficient.

I SO wish  could have had WLS at your age. If I had, I'd probably have a lot less joint pain, and I probably wouldn't be nearly as wrinkled and jiggly. (*grin*)

I was 45 when I had my DS. By that time, my metabolism was completely shot, so I knew I needed the 'big gun' of WLS. That was almost 11 years ago, and I'm still "in love" with my surgery. It gave me my life back---in fact, I'd probably be dead had I not had it when I did. I certainly had no quality of life at that point.

As Val said, you need to learn everything you possibly can about the Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch. Read the various surgical boards, including the Revision board. Talk with people who are at least three years post-op from the various surgeries. Also talk with some folks who've had revisions, for various reasons. And definitely talk with the small per centage of people who've had complications. Most people DON'T, but it's a case of being forewarning being forearmed.

Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! Would I do it again? IN A HEARTBEAT! Do I wish I'd done it sooner? WITH ALL MY HEART.

staci922
on 10/3/14 5:27 am

Hello MsBatt and thank you for your warm welcome! It feels so comforting to know that there are other people like me who have struggled so long with their weight that it just feels like a huge relief to have WLS. Right now, even when I have doubts about the surgery, I keep thinking your exact same sentiments -- that it will give me my "life back"! I'm sure you can relate to how tired and frustrated I am after experiencing (what seems like) every failed diet attempt as another defeat. 

Thanks again for your advice -- I'm off to do more research and to frequent other boards to find out more info. I agree that I need to do some more research before making my final decision, but right now I'm feeling pretty confident about the sleeve. The RNY seems too complicated for me. But, admittedly, I do not know much about DS at this point and will need to look into it further. 

Thanks again for your help!! Take care! :)

MsBatt
on 10/5/14 3:02 am

From the point of view of the SURGEON, the DS is the most complicated form of WLS. I've only ever had to live with the DS, but from the PATIENT'S perspective, it's remarkably simple to live with. (Just IMHO, the RNY would be the most complicated to live with, FOR ME.)

The DS has a Sleeved stomach, which I've found wonderfully easy to live with. It works just like it did back when it was a HUGE stomach, except now it gets full and satisfied with frequent, small meals. And because I also have the intestinal bypass (the 'switch' portion), I eat the way I've always preferred to---a high-protein, high-FAT 'diet'. I do toss back a handful of pills four times a day, but that's easy compared with sticking to a 'diet', at least for me.

Another reason I chose the DS was because both diabetes and high cholesterol runs heavily in both sides of my family. Thanks to my DS, at 56 I'm not diabetic, and my total cholesterol runs about 112.