Just had my Duodenal switch Sept 30 having an extraordinary amout of gas.

JohnNYC
on 10/7/14 4:03 am

I just recently had my Duodenal switch done this pass Sept 30th. Exactly one week ago. Since leaving the hospital on Friday i have continued the liquid diet. The Liquids i have consumed are Water, Fat Free Milk, Carnations instant breakfast, protein shake, tomato soup, and chicken flavored soup broth. Every day that i have been home i have had an enormous amout of gas and diarria. The doctors did make me aware that i would have an increased amout of gas and bowl movements but i dont think this is what they ment. I litterally pass gas every 5-10 mins and have had to use the toilet every hour. I really hope this is just begining stages of my stomach coming back because i would regret the surgery if i have to deal with this for the rest of my life. im not one to exagerate i literally pass gas every 5-10 mins(i have timed it) and constantly on and off the toilet. i could not go to work in this condition. im lucky i took off 3 weeks for this surgery so i still have 2 weeks. Any input on this subject would be appreciated. im REALLY HOPING someone is going to tell me to relax and that i WILL have alot of gas forever... but not this much. this is only because you have JUST completed sugery. (this is what i keep telling myself) Anyone?

rocky513
on 10/7/14 5:00 am - WI

Skip the milk and see if you improve.  You might be lactose intolerant now.  Make sure your protein is lactose free too.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Chilipepper
on 10/7/14 6:13 am

Yes I would skip the milk and go to almond milk. Carnation instant breakfast is crap..there are a million better proteins out there. EAS carb control is something you can get at the store.  Nectar proteins are fabulous an have zero carbs and you can get them at the Vitamin shoppe or cheaper online. Tomato soup is to acidic.  Stick to broth..HerBox is a great broth.  Don't use the low sodium. It's not that important...it's in a green box near the bullion. You had a DS which is a fantastic surgery but it is going to take you some time to figure out through trail and error what you can handle and what will gas you up. Sticking to protein now will help tighten up your bowels for now. 

You will figure it out. 

You can go to the DS board as well

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Valerie G.
on 10/7/14 7:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm a 9 yr DS veteran, and would like to invite you over to the DS board where you'll have a captive audience to bounce questions off of instead one or two DSers who hang out over here.

If your DS was done Laparoscopically, then gas is lodged in your inner nooks and crannies wanting to be wiggle out.  Moving around will help that.  Other causes are lactose intolerance, simple carbs and artificial sweeteners.  It's a long processes working out the cause and effect of foods, but those are some immediate changes that could yield some results, and this can be on the gas as well as the diarrhea front, too.  Straight milk does this to me, but I can handle most other dairy just fine, go figure.  Try those out feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JohnNYC
on 10/8/14 12:02 am

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday all day i did not drink any milk. When my wife got home she pureed tuna fish and then for dinner egg salad. i had a little gas but it was nothing like the days before. It was hard to get the protein in when you are on a liquid diet. the protein shakes contain milk. I thought i posted this in the DS forum?

Valerie G.
on 10/10/14 4:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're on the General forum, but we've got you!

Whey gives me horrible gas.  I found egg white protein shakes by Jay Robb, and they don't suck.  I don't find pleasure in any of them, but I find this one acceptable mixed in my coffee (make a slurry first with a little cream, then add to coffee).  I have one with my coffee in the morning to give me a good jolt.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 10/8/14 12:41 am

Don't EVER eat anything that's been made artificially low-fat or fat free! With your DS, you're only absorbing about 20% of the fat you eat, and some of us have a hard time getting ENOUGH fat.

Are you REALLY having diarrhea, or just frequent, liquid stools? True diarrhea involves cramping, urgency, and , frequently, a really bad smell. More likely you're just suffering from the "liquid in, liquid out" thing right now.

Over time, you'll learn what your designer guts like and don't like, and you'll be able to control your gas. Things will get much, much better!

Chilipepper
on 10/9/14 2:31 am

Nectar proteins are lactose free. 

The are high quality, high in protein and carb free

http://www.netrition.com/syntrax_nectar_page.html

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White