Alcohol....don't do if you've ever had a problem!

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/14 9:42 am

I have an old account here, but can't remember my log in stuff.  Just a warning to preops:  If you've EVER had a tendency to drink too much, commit before you undergo the surgery to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER DRINK after the surgery.  I had gastric bypass in 2009.  Still at goal, but I paid a very dear price for picking up a drink afterward.  It's not the same.  Not worth the risk.  I lost my marriage and job over that mistake.  Do I regret the surgery? NO.  I regret picking up a drink 6 months later.  Be warned.  

Heather

Amy K.
on 10/6/14 12:21 pm - Mankato, MN

My warning is more dire.  Even if you've never drank in your life, don't touch alcohol after gastric bypass.  Not a drop.  I never drank in my life until I couldn't eat anymore.  Now I'm an alcoholic who has lost her kids, her home, her car, her career, her health all to fit into a size 12. It's not worth it. If I had to do it again, I'd rather be fat. #justhonest

NikkyBeauty
on 10/6/14 9:03 pm, edited 10/6/14 9:03 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Did alcohol take the place of food for you? I'm pre op, and I ask myself all the time "what am I going to do without the comfort of food? What's going to fill foods void?" I don't drink regularly, but when I do, I get LOADED!!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

kathkeb
on 10/7/14 8:08 am

It is a great time for you to be working with a therapist to help you figure this out.

For me, I made a list of "things to do besides eat if it is not mealtime" and I stuck to it.

For many, many months after surgery, I ate on a schedule ...... And if it was not mealtime, I referred to that list if I needed something to do.

Several items on the list are 'comfort'activities, some are chores, hobbies, social, solitary ..... Something for every occasion.

Kath

Heather I.
on 10/7/14 11:48 am

Hi, I'm the OP, I found my login stuff.  I don't think it was "cross addiction" as much as never really learning to deal with stuff correctly. I've been a binge drinker since late teens. I became a problem drinker in my late 20's.  I had my stint of using drugs.  I've had my periods of sobriety/lucidity.  The pre-op screen was ridiculous.  Of course it was easy to tell them what they wanted to hear.  NO ONE was going to change my mind or delay my surgery.  I don't blame them or anyone but me for wanting a quick fix.  If you tend to get loaded when you do drink...please be careful.  I mean it! I had a list of stuff I could do instead of eat/drink...but nothing satisfies as instantly as a shot of liquor.  BOOM within a minute, I'm in a different place.  I'm not saying everyone will have my problem.  Many won't.  However, there is really no real way to know how it will turn out until you try it.  I heard the warnings and tried it anyway.  I would be different...I can control it.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.  Like I said, I'm not saying that everyone will end up this way, just think really long and hard about the cost/benefit if you have any patterns of behavior in the past that lead to excess of anything.

Heather

rnlisa
on 10/7/14 8:09 pm

OMG! U R me! I lied to myself and others because I wanted the surgery so badly, got to my goal wgt but drink like a FISH! Eat very healthy, crazy to think that I'm "healthy" when I down 1-1/2 bottles of wine a day! Thanks lisa

Heather I.
on 10/8/14 11:48 am

Ya, foolishly, I made myself believe all my problems would be over and I could handle anything if I was thin.  LOL LOL!  Morbid obesity is a symptom of something much deeper for at least 98 percent of us.  (Hugs)

Mike4132
on 10/6/14 9:10 pm

This worries me also...

jastypes
on 10/7/14 12:52 am - Croydon, PA

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddictions/discussion/  I developed alcoholism after RNY.  I talk to people about it all the time.  I am now 4+ years sober, but it took me over 2 years to get 90 days.  It was the loneliest and most frightening time of my life.  There is help available.  The latest statistics say 3 out of 10 gastric bypass patients will develop a transfer addiction, most to alcohol, but I also had issues with sex and spending, and I have met many people with those issues as well as addictions to street and/or prescription medications, food hoarding, gambling and even plastic surgery.  I do believe that many obese people have the disease of compulsive overeating, which is a compulsion disorder.  If the disorder is left untreated, and our "drug of choice" is taken away, i.e. food, our disease looks for something else.  It is a physical, emotional and spiritual disorder.  It is absolutely real.  It is not a weakness or character failing. 

If you can avoid alcohol after surgery, I'd recommend that strongly.  If you do drink and develop a problem, seek help.  The sooner you get help, the easier it is to kick.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Linda_S
on 10/7/14 2:18 am - Eugene, OR

Hmm.  Did those of you who developed a problem with alcohol after surgery have addictive issues before hand?  Besides food, that is?  I still have an occasional drink post-RNY, and yes, I get tipsy pretty fast.  Because I have hypoglycemia, I don't usually drink more than one drink.  I also have maybe two drinks a month.  Not an issue for me at all.  I have a cabinet full of liquor to offer a drink to friends when they come by, but I'm not a regular drinker.  

I'm sorry you're all having difficulties, but just wanted to say that it's most likely different for everyone.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen