Surgery Scheduling Question

NolaLola
on 10/6/14 5:49 am

I work in a similar situation and I went back 6 days after surgery after RNY. Because it was the beginning of the school year and did not want to use up my sick days so early. I thought I would be fine because first week was in service, but it was still a little rough and uncomfortable.Going back I would have waited one more week, then half days the next week then I full time after but that's just me. I haven't had the exhaustion others have reported. For home life my husband helped out tremendously the first week home, then it made him stop because I wanted to get in the habit of doing more for myself and being more active. You children are old enough to fend for themselves for 2/3 weeks. So I would use this 6 months to start teaching them those life skills so you won't have to worry about it the first few weeks after surgery. Freezer meals are great to plan ahead too.

RNY 8-19-14 HW-356 CW 308

dannyanddelaney
on 10/6/14 11:48 pm - PA

2 weeks off of work is plenty of time....I was out cutting the hedges 2 weeks post op and felt great!!! Best of luck to you! You will do great!!!!

JAMStribe
on 10/7/14 4:53 am

I couldn't drive for 2 weeks per MD order and definitely didn't feel up to it.  laundry and dishes are a definite no. 

Physically maybe but you will not feel up to it, nor should you.  I agree if you can wait till June and heal on your own terms and

on your own timeline it is definitely worth considering.   

NYMom222
on 10/7/14 12:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Hi! I didn't see where you said which surgery you are having, but most people go back to work in 2 weeks. I felt great after one week (RNY) I started driving on the 5th day after surgery after I had my first post-op appointment. They told me I needed to be off pain killers for 24 hours. I don't know how far it is to drive them, but do you have a neighbor or friend who would be willing to drive them for a week,? and you could probably drive them the second week. You have time to figure it out. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lexibelle
on 10/8/14 12:11 am - Federal Way, WA
DS on 09/19/14

Honestly, if I had the option of having several weeks versus 2 weeks - I'd wait until June. I'm pretty sure I'd be in a little bit less pain if I'd been able to really recover for more than a week after surgery.

That said, if it absolutely has to be done - you could probably manage on 2 weeks. I was back to work full-time 6 days after surgery - however I work from home and was able to sit on the couch or in a recliner with my laptop. I couldn't deal with sitting in my desk chair for very long. I was up cleaning at 8 days out from surgery (though I was definitely spent) and I was up to cooking by 14 days out (kids are 1 and 4, so can't really make them do it). My hubby has still been helping a lot, but if he weren't home I'd be okay. I'm now 20 days out and am mostly back to my normal routine, whi*****ludes walking my son to school. I'm definitely not 100% and still can't bend (my squats are getting good!) or lay on my left side - but for the most part I'm functional. :)