Surgery Scheduling Question

C H
on 10/7/14 2:04 am

I thought by now my surgery would be approved but its taking longer that I expected to even get my paperwork submitted for approval, im waiting until december, myself because its the only time i can get help with my children, theyre a bit younger than yours :), i know what you mean with having control i don't like anyone washing dishes but myself lmao, may i suggest paper plates during your recovery? lol.

Poodlemac
on 10/6/14 4:18 am
RNY on 09/26/14

My doctor released me from the hospital with no limitations. I haven't taken any pain medicine since leaving the hospital. I feel like I could have gone back to work at one week, but I've opted to take 2 weeks off since I'll be transitioning to blended foods on Thursday and I don't want to tackle that at work. Also, I've read it's good to let yourself heal and take care of yourself. 

I've done laundry and light housekeeping, shopping with no problems!

FarmGirl71
on 10/6/14 4:24 am - Maben, MS
VSG on 05/05/15

I have certainly seen a variety of recovery times. I tend to be one who bounces back pretty quickly... but it is hard to know exactly what to do. I guess I should wait and talk with my doctor about his recommendations. This is just me wishing time would pass a little faster! 

TheNewT
on 10/6/14 5:09 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I was given instructions not to lift over 8 pounds. No driving until off meds for a couple of days. No pushing the vacuum. No dishes (the nurse may have thrown that freebie in). All this restriction until my 3 week visit. The fellas will definitely have to pitch in. You could prep and freeze meals for them ahead of time in disposable pans. That would help cut down on dishes.

I didn't have the energy to do anything until I had been given the OK for real food. Literally, taking a shower would exhaust me. After 10 days of liquid I was allowed food (chewed thoroughly). After that my energy came back. And I have a job where I sit down all day long. With a 40 minute commute 1 way.

Frankly, I would sit down and have a heart to heart with the men. You are making a big change for your health and guess what... they have to make big changes too. I am sure they will pitch in and help mom out.

FarmGirl71
on 10/6/14 5:15 am - Maben, MS
VSG on 05/05/15

It's not that they don't help... They do. It's just that my husband's job does not allow him the opportunity to help run the boys here and there... nor do they have their licenses. We live 20 minutes outside the school district so they can't catch a bus. 

So your recommendation would be wait until summer...

I have great kids... Really just wanted to know when folks felt like doing things and when they returned to work.

Sounds like you think June is a better option.

TheNewT
on 10/6/14 10:00 am
VSG on 08/04/14

The way I felt, glad mine fell in the summer. I sent the kid to the grandparents for 2 weeks. However.... when my mind is made up I want action immediately. So putting myself in your shoes, knowing what I went through,  I'd do it now. I'd want to start my new life ASAP.

Full disclosure... I had no complications. My kid is 5 (and I was prepared to do it during school if I had to). 

FarmGirl71
on 10/6/14 10:06 am - Maben, MS
VSG on 05/05/15

LOL! Yes... I'm a total "action NOW" kinda gal!

kathkeb
on 10/6/14 11:38 am

I tried to convince my husband that I would not be able to do laundry for a year post op ...... LOL!!!

Kath

kathkeb
on 10/6/14 11:42 am

I tried to convince my husband that I would not be able to do laundry for a year post op ...... LOL!!!

Kath

Trouble1391011
on 10/6/14 5:37 am

I had RNY last Monday and I am back to work today.  I am a little tired, but its not the end of the world.  I have 5 children at home and my husband left the day after I got out of the hospital for his job and won't be bac****il tomorrow.  My mom did come stay with us for 2 weeks and she has been a tremendous help.  I have 2 little ones (1 that isn't walking yet) and since I can't lift over 15lbs, I can' pick him up.  I still cook for the kids and go grocery shopping and was out at Walmart the day after I got out of the hospital because we needed things.  I will admit I was pretty tuckered out, but I made it work.  I also shuttle my kids to and from their sports every afternoon.  So it really just depends on what you feel comfortable doing.  I wasn't in pain when I left the hospital so I just took a tylenol in the morning and moved on :)  good luck with your decision!