Surgery This Week and Nervous!

CJK74
on 10/6/14 12:47 am

I am new here. Well for posting anyways :-) I have been reading everyone's posts for about a month now and appreciate all of the information, insight and advise that you have unknowingly given me! lol Wednesday i am having RNY and am pretty nervous. Can anyone give me a few works of advice on recovery time or what to expect? What were the highs and lows of coming home right after surgery? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Member Services
on 10/6/14 1:34 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!  It's normal to be nervous!

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op! 

Regards,

Member Services Team

CJK74
on 10/6/14 2:01 am

Thanks for the help!

chris_ruff
on 10/6/14 2:26 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

hi there, best of luck to you! 

hmm, some things i remember:

1) you don't need most of what you bring to the hospital

2) having a binder was a lifesaver post op and really helped with the dicomfort

3) don't bother buying all kinds of shakes and powders beforehand, you really don;t know what you'll like or tolerate

4) don't obsess on the scale

5) breathe, a wonderful journey awaits!

--Christina
Trouble1391011
on 10/6/14 2:31 am

Congrats on you upcoming surgery.  I had RNY on 9/29/14.  I was pretty sore like I got in a brawl the day of surgery.  The next day I felt a little better and less sore.  By the 3rd day (the day I was discharged) I felt pretty good but still Tylenol worthy sore.  A couple days later I felt fine.  I am back to work today and other than being tired, I'm ok. I am still on the liquid diet until Wednesday when I can add in applesauce and mashed potaotes and the like.  I still sit with my family for meals and I even cook for them when they need me to (My mom is here so she is taking care of them).  The only big issue I have is that I can't lift my 2 smaller children (3 and 11 months) so my kids have to pick them up and carry them around for me. Good luck this week!

CJK74
on 10/6/14 3:42 am

Thank you for the replies and kind words! I am sure it will be an interesting, life changing experience!

Poodlemac
on 10/6/14 8:29 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I had RNY on 9/26/14. When I woke from surgery I was in pain from the gas. They gave me medicine right away and the next time I woke up I was pretty comfortable. Most discomfort I remember was trying to get comfortable to sleep, but I think most of that was me thinking about it!  It has really been much easier than I had expected. I left the hospital day 3 with no restrictions. I haven't even taken any Tylenol!  

You've got this!

Emiepie
on 10/6/14 8:59 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Best wishes! I had my RNY on 8/11/14 and would say the most discomfort was in my shoulder from the gas. I came home the next day and stopped pain meds pretty quickly. I was off work 3 weeks, felt more energy and such after I was able to start vitamins. One thing I forgot to take to the hospital was Chapstick! 

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

CJK74
on 10/7/14 1:20 am

Thank you for all the updated and advise. I am pretty nervous today but know I am making the best decision! I am sure I will feel better once I wake up from surgery :-)