Not 1 lb lost from lapband - questions for those w/ sleeve and lapband experience

Quasarsttarr_88
on 10/4/14 10:21 pm

Hello all,  I've been banded with a lapband since 2008.  I have not lost any weight with the lapband.  That's right, in 6 years, I have not lost any weight from my WLS.  I have recently been going to a new doctor to get more fills to try again.  I am at about 5.5 cc's in a 10 cc band.  I've had a lot of frustration with trying to make the band work and to lose weight.  The issue that I have is that I may feel a satisfied or "full" sensation at the top of my stomach where the band is, but the bottom of my stomach is not fooled... I am still very very hungry with the band.  My bottom stomach demands more food.  I fear that I may never, ever, ever, ever feel satisfied or content or full with the lapband, no matter how many fills I get to reach that magical spot.  

There are also times where I will eat some solids, or maybe eat too fast or eat too much, and there is a bit of pain at the top of my stomach, so then I will go on liquids for half a day or a full day the next day.  I'm concerned that I could cause some damage or erosion with the band.  My problem is that I want that FULL feeling!  I don't get that with the band, I only feel halfway satisfied but bottom tummy still demands more food.  I want to know, did anyone on here not have success with the band and then someone had success?  Did anyone not have success and then switch to the sleeve?  What specifically was your experience like?  Do those of you that have the sleeve feel FULL or just satisfied? I need to feel full and I'm afraid if I didn't have success with the lapband - I want to know if the sleeve would be different and really help me.  Any advice/tips are much appreciated!  Thank you!  -Renee

Kate -True Brit
on 10/4/14 11:14 pm - UK

Describing feelings of hunger is difficult as these things are subjective. My experience with the band over 8 years has been a learning one. In the beginning, I think I still felt hunger. I taught myself, with the help of the band, to eat less. So at first, my main stomach may still have felt "unfilled" but because I walked away from food after eating a small amount, over time it learned to expect less, presumably even shrank. 

I have never relied on my band to stop me eating. I have always just eaten the amount necessary to take away immediate hunger. Head hunger never goes away and simply has to be dealt with. The full feeling we get pre-band is not the same as the satisfied feeling I get post-band. 

i assume you are eating dense or crunchy foods, especially protein, not soft foods, I assume you are controlling quantities and not grazing? 

Some people do find getting the correct fill level very difficult; you may be one of them. Would the sleeve be better for you? Many people on here have found it so. But others still struggle; one friend in particular finds that after revising from the band she is much hungrier than she ever was with the band. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

56sunShine14
on 10/5/14 1:27 am

Hi Renee'

I was banded in 2007 with a 14cc band that I still think was too large.  I am now getting close to my sleeve surgery and couldn't be happier.  Even if another surgery were not in the wings though, I am happy to have the band gone.  Vomiting all the time was not my idea of a good life.  Although I followed all the rules, ate slowly, chewed well, did not TOUCH the banned foods, etc., vomiting was the reason I lost weight, not the band.

However, I agree with everything Kate posted for you when it comes to how the band can work for some and not others.  And I have the same question...are you eating "dense" protein foods?  I don't mean protein shakes and bars.  I mean chicken, turkey, lean pork and beef, tuna, cheese, beans, etc.

And if you ARE, I would have to wonder if there is a leak in your tubing from port to band or is your band inflating properly?  You would have to have your surgeon look into this if he/she hasn't already.  And I say this only because although I understand head hunger vs real hunger, when I had the band the first several years, I was able to say that after eating a few ounces of protein, I was truly full and never questioned it because I could so easily tell.  My larger tummy never bothered me except when I was vomiting.

The pain at the top of your tummy is food getting stuck there, not passing easily.  I would very slowly sip on coffee or tea, something warm to help it through.  When I did this, it was going to go one way or another and it usually went down.  However, when something was very hot or very cold, it would usually come up.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Valerie G.
on 10/5/14 7:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Maybe you're not getting enough restriction, but maybe your body needs more assistance than just eating less.  The RNY and DS give you some significant metabolic changes in addition to restriction.  Some people don't necessarily need that much - but others definitely do.  I would consider no results with the band to point you to the same condition.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Quasarsttarr_88
on 10/5/14 10:14 am

Thank you all very much for your responses.  I have found a lot of your tips very helpful.  Kate, I think that you made some key points - that you taught yourself to eat less with the band.  It's about relearning old habits.  My issue is that for many years I thought I was a failure with the band, and I ended up taking prescription diet pills to lose weight.  I took them for WAYYYY to long. I would eat too little when on them, and then when I got off of them I was extra hungry and wanted to eat everything in sight, so of course I regained the weight.  Now with the lapband, I think I have extra issues with hunger due to taking those diet pills.  I just need to really do my part and relearn how to eat - set meals, protein first, and eating properly.  

I did more research last night and here is one response from a doctor that really hit home with me:  

Hi Tonya,
I’ve seen some patients that are just like you.
Most of the ones I’ve seen are eating everything and when I take a fluoro control I can see that the sleeve has stretched.
My thoughts are that patients should be committed with any kind of weight loss procedure, with the diet and the exercise, and most of them want the procedure to work alone and that is just one third of the road to weight loss.
There is a fact that hunger goes away with the sleeve but there is very little to do when you eat by anxiety or that you are sitting to long or staying in bed.
When the sleeve has gotten stretched the patients can have a re-do or switch to a Gastric Bypass with medication and very close follow up.

I also read many posts from patients who had  the sleeve were still really hungry.  I think I need to first learn to sort out my eating issues while I have the band, before considering another surgery.  I just need to relearn that I don't have to feel stuffed to be content and that I need to do MY PART as the band is only a tool.  It is still up to me to do the work.  Thanks again and any more tips and advice are welcome and appreciated.  

Maddie_Stormy
on 10/5/14 10:31 am

I was banded in 2007.  I never felt saitiated.  The most I lost 45 lbs. I was miserable. Vomited everyday.  Had band deflated due to complications in 2013 and removed this past June.  Gastric bypass scheduled for Thutsady Oct. 9th.  I weigh more now than ever.  I am so looking forward to loosing weight!  

SJb41976
on 10/6/14 12:31 pm
DS on 02/29/16

I had the band 10 years ago. I revised to the sleeve 4 years ago. If I were making the decision again I would choose a procedure with malabsorption. Just really take a long, hard, deep, honest look. And this is for everyone. I wish I had chosen a procedure with malabsorption because I am back at square one attempting to use my current tool (after a years and a half of therapy) to lose this weight for good.

Best of luck to you. 

KattattaK
on 10/6/14 1:35 pm

Renee, please read my story. Your experience sounds quite similar to my own. I am now at the point where I am trying to find the strength to have my band removed. My current doc wants me to be revised to the sleeve. I have not decided on that. I will do as much research as possible before making any decision. I recall what I went through with the band, and I honestly can't even imagine going through another wls. I wish you the best!!! :)