Sleeved on October 1st!! How did everyone deal with family life post op?

BayouBelleVSG
on 10/4/14 2:35 pm
VSG on 10/01/14

It's finally over! I had my VSG surgery on October 1st and I'm feeling great so far. Only a little gas pain after surgery, but other than that, it went incredibly well. I do feel weak right now without getting any calories in, and I'm struggling to not kill my husband. How did everyone else cope with their significant other/family members cooking and eating in front of you while on the clear liquid stage of the post op diet? 

I think if I can just make it to the protein shake stage that I'll be fine. I really miss being able to take in something with true nutritional value that can fuel me throughout the day.

kathkeb
on 10/4/14 4:04 pm

Well, I was mentally prepared for it and knew it would only last a short while and was part of the recovery.

I did not sit with my husband while he ate.  I either went into another room, or I took my walk around the neighborhood .... He prepared, ate and cleaned up after himself.

It really was not an issue for me.

Kath

twosilly
on 10/4/14 5:20 pm - Lynnwood, WA
VSG on 10/08/14

Great we will be about 1 week apart, I had a band removed after 9.5 yrs and will "go under the knife" and have a VSG on Oct 8th 2014 ! a bit cold feet ....  was very glad to read your post ! Keep up the good work ! 

BayouBelleVSG
on 10/5/14 1:53 pm
VSG on 10/01/14

Three days for you!! How exciting (and scary!). I was actually in the waiting room telling my husband that we needed to sneak out the back door to the hospital and that I didn't want to go through with it. He of course being the great husband he is  was like "Sure sweetie. Whatever you want to do". I hate when he calls my bluff! :)

Those cold feet never went away either. Even when I was getting prepped I was thinking of how to sneak out. I'm so glad I sucked it up and went through with it. It really wasn't as bad as I expected. I'm only really dealing with the lack of getting real calories right now (still on the clear liquids). I never took the time to think about how weak and tired I was going to feel with nothing fueling my body post op. 

I can't wait to hear how things go for you! Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 10/4/14 10:02 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My family fended for themselves when I was on liquids, and they were respectful to eat in another room. We started eating together once I was on pureeds 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

southernlady5464
on 10/5/14 12:17 am

I knew I was doing this...and so I didn't care what was happening around me...so people ate? BIG deal!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

lexibelle
on 10/5/14 1:09 am - Federal Way, WA
DS on 09/19/14

My surgery was 9/18 and for the first week my husband was great about making the food and feeding the kids. During dinner I either ducked out or I'd sit with my cup of soup and eat with them while he fed the baby. Now, at 17 days out I'm able to help more with the cooking and it's not nearly as hard. I think from this point out, it'll be a cakewalk. Especially if my doc will clear me to start purees next week.

Luvmygs
on 10/5/14 3:19 am
VSG on 12/04/14

How about some electrolytes like Vitamin water Zero, Isopure or G2?

BayouBelleVSG
on 10/5/14 2:05 pm
VSG on 10/01/14

I've been drinking powerade zero's since surgery and it really hasn't stopped the tired/weak feeling. Isopure is hard to get down right now without mixing it with some water, which then makes the amount you have to drink to get protein much more. Once I can tolerate the consistency, I think it's going to be an awesome supplement though - you can't beat the protein amount in one bottle!

kkisqueen2002
on 10/5/14 5:05 am

glad everyone's has went well, mine is in ten days. any feed back would be great