Mental Health and Medications Question

Deborahq
on 10/4/14 8:22 am

Hello,  

I live with Bipolar Disorder, and am looking for information from anyone who is taking psychiatric medications and has had Gastric Bypass Surgery.  At the orientation I learned that there are a significant amount of vitamins needed to be taken for the rest of my life after surgery.  I am concerned that I just may not be able to take all those vitamins and all my psych meds as none come in liquid form.

I'd appreciate insight from anyone's personal experience.  I don't see the Nurse Practitioner until the end of the month. 

Thanks!  

poet_kelly
on 10/4/14 9:03 am - OH

How do you take your psych meds now?  There is no reason you can't swallow pills after gastric bypass.  Unless you have some sort of throat or swallowing disorder unrelated to your gastric bypass, I mean.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Deborahq
on 10/4/14 10:37 am

Thank you Kelly.

Deb

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/4/14 10:11 am - OH

The only Psych meds that you will probably need to change would be any that are "extended release" or "timed release" because they won't absorb nearly as well after a RNY (because of the shortened intestine). You might need to adjust the dosage on others after surgery if they don't absorb quite as well, but usually that is just a minor adjustment.

You shouldn't need to take anything in liquid form. Most people have no trouble swallowing everything except large pills right away after surgery. Just discuss the need to take the psych meds with your surgeon, and if the surgeon suggests crushing pills for a while immediately post-op, check with the pharmacist AND whomever prescribes the psych meds to be sure that it is ok to crush them.  Some should NEVER be cut in half or crushed.

You will definitely want to switch your meds, if needed, a couple of months before surgery if possible to be sure everything is ok with the new ones.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Deborahq
on 10/4/14 10:36 am

Thank you so much Lora.  I'm not concerned about the swallowing it's the absorption capacity post-op that I'm worried about.  I'm in the middle of a med change right now for Bipolar Depression and it's been very frustrating - the thought of having to change things around again is a little much. 

That said, the health risks of me staying at this weight are too high not to explore the possibility of surgery.  Your information was helpful.

Deb

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/4/14 11:34 am - OH

Other than the time release meds, most people don't have much trouble with psych meds not absorbing, so definitely don't let that keep you from getting surgery and taking control of your weight!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lilly M.
on 10/4/14 10:50 pm
RNY on 09/10/14

Hello Deb. I had my RNY on September 10th, and I am on psychotropic medications. Although, it has taken a bit of time to get used to spreading out my doctor required vitamins and calcium so as to stagger them for best absorption and such, I simply take my meds in the evening and have had no change thus far in my moods or behavior. I am but one person, though. Others who are on similar meds may have more to add. Getting your psychotropic meds adjusted and you being stabilized regarding your bipolar would be very important prior to undergoing your surgery, I believe. The body goes through a variety of changes post surgery, and it would be wise to set yourself up to have the greatest chance of experiencing minimal set backs post surgery. No one can guarantee it. But, for me, the calculated risk was worth it because I was too ill due to obesity and had hit my bottom with it. It has worked out well for me so far, and if you choose weight loss surgery, I wish you the best . I worked closely with all of my doctors regarding my meds, vitamins, possible changes in mood or behavior, just to be prudent.

Revision from Nissen Fundoplication to Roux-en-Y on 09/10/14. HW (214) 05/12/14 SW (198.8)

mobailey68
on 10/4/14 11:04 pm
RNY on 02/24/14

Hi! I had surgery (RNY) in February and I have not had a single issue getting my medications down. My Psychiatrist did change the extended release to the regular one due to the malabsorbtion but that just means I need to take it again the in afternoon. No biggie, such a small price to pay for physical health. I have had some adjustments to my psych meds. My mood stabilizer up and the anti-depressant down.

The only supplement that I have taken in liquid form was my calcium right after my surgery. In retrospect that wasn't necessary as I was taking pills while I was at the hospital.

All I can say is enjoy the ride (NEW WAY OF LIFE) it is so worth it!

Mo 

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

tomsgirl6112
on 10/5/14 10:31 am, edited 10/5/14 10:31 am - PA
RNY on 01/15/15

Hi. I am pre-op & I was concerned about my meds. I am taking extended release anti-depressants & they aren't small. Thankfully, I was informed by the dr. that I will be able to open the capsule & sprinkle on food and take that way.

I wish you luck w/your decision and I personally believe that you will be healthier and happier by having WLS.

The Vickster