HOW SOON AFTER SURGERY FOR CRUISE?

t3dsmom
on 10/4/14 10:55 am

I was in Alaska 8 weeks after surgery, no problems. Just plan your snacks out, if you do any excursions.

NolaLola
on 10/4/14 11:17 am

I am 6 weeks this week and would totally be up for a cruise. Every person is different though. You probably just need to make the decision which is more important starting the journey to the new you as soon as you can or if you want to enjoy your cruise uninhibited.

Scarlette B.
on 10/4/14 11:19 am - TX
RNY on 03/20/14

I have to agree with Laura in Texas.. I felt fine with no physical complications but I got tired easily till my 4th month... I love me some cruises!  Good luck and Godspeed

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

MsBatt
on 10/5/14 2:31 am

I have never been on a cruise, but I get the impression that a LOT of the fun to be had on one involves eating and drinking.. Personally, I'd go on the cruise FIRST, then have WLS.

kittykatz202
on 10/5/14 12:27 pm

I've got a cruise schedule for December 7th and because of that I'm waiting until mid January for my surgery (I want to be able to eat regular food for the holidays). If I didn't have the cruise schedule I would probably have the surgery the beginning of November too. I don't know what I will be able to eat at that time and I don't feel comfortable being so far from home just incase there are any complications.

Jiliana2
on 10/6/14 11:58 pm, edited 10/7/14 12:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

While I personally felt well enough to travel at 6 weeks post-op, I consulted with my surgeon first.

He told me absolutely not. Under NO cir****tances was I supposed to travel too far from my center just in case complications developed. He didn't want me jetting away to some foreign, tropical island or lounging on a cruise ship (I asked specifically about that) because in the event that something happened, there would be no easy way for me to get to a center for a consult with a WLS surgeon.

I agree that you will probably be quite fine to travel, but keep this in mind. And you might like to check out your surgeon's recommendations. They may have something to add to this.

I say take the cruise if it's booked. But depending on your surgeon's thoughts, maybe it's an option to schedule surgery for after your return?

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle