Questioning Hospital

susiecomelately
on 10/3/14 1:07 am

Surgery date is set, but just had the pre-op endoscopy there (first i've seen the hospital) and it's not what i expected. I knew that it was a small hospital, but i didn't know it was in a pretty rough, industrial area and it wasn't much to look at either!! Starting to question myself about how safe surgery would be there. I'm new to the area, sooo didn't know much about the hospitals or areas around the Fort Worth area. Does anyone have any comments about Texas General Hospital in Grand Prairie?

poet_kelly
on 10/3/14 1:27 am - OH

What makes you think surgery would be unsafe in a hospital in an industrial area?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

susiecomelately
on 10/3/14 2:57 am

I've worked in many hospitals and it just didn't look very nice from the outside, I'm not really that picky, but pictures of the hospital on their website made it look much nicer than it was in person. Just a little surprized and taken aback. Inside it looked ok, not the nicest I've seen, but clean, staff seemed friendly, not enough time there to know how competent. But things went smoothly enough. I guess I was hoping everything would be perfect, I've planned for this since June and am concerned about having an elective surgery. 

Char1Char
on 10/3/14 2:54 am, edited 10/3/14 2:55 am

My daughter and son-in-law are both in the hospital systems of DFW. He is at Parkland in downtown Dallas....now that is a huge hospital but I wouldn't want to be there.....for anything. She was at Methodist McKinney, and although a small facility, awesome staff and docs. Just remember, doctors in DFW practice in many area hospitals. All hospitals have national standards that they are graded on and will be fined enormous amounts of money for infractions. Just because it is small, it is probably outstanding and you will get closer supervision by the staff. Good luck!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/3/14 3:27 am

I would be more concerned about my surgeon's rate of mortality, post op complications, and infections than the aesthetics of the building. As long as the staff is competent and the equipment isn't rickety, who cares if it's industrial?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

susiecomelately
on 10/3/14 7:29 am

My surgeon rates high on rates of infection and mortality, morbidity but hospital reviews are not as great. He has a vested interest in the hospital, he is one of the investors/owners. I've never seen that in any of the hospitals I've worked at, didn't even know it was allowed? 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/3/14 8:01 am

Hmm, I don't know about hospitals, but I do know that is true of free-standing surgery centers. If you have any doubts or concerns at all, investigate them thoroughly. Does he operate anywhere else?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/3/14 4:43 am - OH

Have you looked online to see if there are reviews of your surgeon and the hospital?  There are some reviews if surgeons and hospitals here on OH, as well.  

Do the surgeon and hospital have a Center of Excellence designation? If so, there is probably nothing to worry about.  It is important that you feel confident that you will get good care, though, so if you continue to be concerned you might be better off choosing another surgeon/hospital. IMO, this is one of those "trust your gut" situations.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

katx30
on 10/3/14 7:43 am
VSG on 09/08/14

I just had surgery there with Dr. Kim on 9/8/14.   You're right with the description of the hospital.  I would be happy to answer any questions if you want to ask specific ones.  I believe Dr. Kim is a great surgeon but the hospital could be up to better standards.  After my surgery it took several attempts to get the nurses to clean and put bandages over my incisions.  I live out of town so I didn't receive staples.  When I was released that night, the nurses just came in and gave me my discharge instructions and left.  They didn't tell me to get dressed or anything so I did just that and headed for the nurses station.  One nurse walked me to the door and a security guard followed us out to our car.  FYI... beware of the large bumps in the parking lot.  If you hit them going to fast it will hurt post op.  I can give you more information via pm regarding some charges I have seen on my explanation of benefits so far... it's ridiculous.  I don't want to scare you away from having the surgery there but just keep in mind that the hospital is not spectacular but my surgery went well and I have recovered very well!