Gift suggestions for the pre-surgical patient

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/3/14 4:12 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

You and your Mom are obviously lucky in each other!  I live abroad from my family and have received some wonderful care packages from the States so i completely understand what you are looking for...  I think that the more you are educated about the type of surgery your mother will have the better able you will be to support her through the process.  As far as gifts go - check out The world according to eggface.com - this is a blog by one of our OH members that has tons of fantastic recipes and ideas (bento boxes being one of her favourite things) and lots of other ideas.  A great resource for both of you.  Another idea would be to get her a FitBit or some other pedometer that helps her track her steps.  This will encourage her to be active and learning how to use these things before surgery makes it easier to continue when she is ready post-op.  

As you are in Japan - I'd say beautiful small plates, bento boxes, chop sticks (which make eating small bites easier), a beautiful tea pot with cups and special teas as warm drinks after surgery are very soothing, beautiful pillow (either a neck pillow for in the hospital though I used mine to rest my IV hand to keep it elevated) . My husband who travels to Japan every 3 months often brings me back gorgeous hair clips wrapped in cloth that I am sure he picks up at the airport, but I use them constantly and especially just after surgery to keep my hair up and out of the way, but also to have something pretty when the rest of me felt a bit like road kill.  Just an idea!

Have fun shopping!  And best wishes to your Mom  - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

NateH
on 10/4/14 3:33 am
VSG on 09/26/14

Something from the heart. Maybe a charm or picture? She may like to have it in the hospital to give comfort. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016