Under 25 & gastric sleeve?

Jennifer J.
on 10/2/14 10:24 am - Manassas, VA
with

I am 23 and am in the process of WLS approval for the sleeve. One of my main concerns is the extra skin. I am currently at 232/235 lbs. I was just wondering about ppl around my age that have had this surgery and what their experience with weight loss has been and if the extra skin has been significant or not...only because i've read that younger people usually don't experience much trouble with the skin shrinking during weight loss.

Ladytazz
on 10/2/14 10:51 am

My first major weight loss was around age 21.  I love about 90 lbs and was not at all prepared for the excess skin.  I had magically thought that after I lost all my excess weight I would look like a model.  Never happened.

I was very upset but in hindsight it really wasn't that bad, at least not compared to when I was much older.  I lost and gained so much weight so many times that my body was just ruined.  Add in 5 pregnancies and you can get the picture.

I was able to get a panniectomy done after my first WLS and I am still very happy about that even though it is far from perfect but it is such an improvement and helps so much with clothes.  If I had the money I would get a lot of work done but since that isn't possible I have learned to live with it.  No matter how bad it looks it is 100 times better then when it was filled with fat.

Given your age and the fact that you are a "lightweight" you will probably not have it too bad but I am sure that no matter what you will be disappointed that you have excess skin at all.  Just human nature.  But you are young enough that having plastic surgery would be practical and really not as expensive as it may sound.  I mean, new cars are going for about $20,000.00 and people buy those every day.

There are great plastic surgeons out of the country who are very talented and a lot less expensive then here in the US.  You may want to start a plastic surgery fund now so that if you do find you need it it is available.  If things aren't as bad as you fear then you will have some extra money to put away or go on vacation.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Valerie G.
on 10/2/14 11:03 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are no promises.  You've got age, genetics, and damage already on the skin working into play.  No special cream or exercise can prevent or treat it, so it's a total crapshoot.  Youth is on your side, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NYMom222
on 10/3/14 3:50 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My niece had WLS 10 years ago at the age of 25 and has kept off 120 pounds. She never felt the need to have plastic surgery. She looks great, she may have some saggy skin under the clothes...but it doesn't look like it. There is no way of knowing for sure, and worrying never helps. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/14 12:17 am
RNY on 11/12/14 with

I'm 18 and going in for RNY.

Hoping age is on our sides! Haha