Getting nervous...labs all over the place. Advice?

Tanya H.
on 10/3/14 12:13 am
VSG on 01/20/15

Thank you. This makes me feel a little better. I wasn't sure if the supplements would help in time.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/3/14 4:24 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Hi there.  I remember having some of the same fears as you.  

My levels were ridiculously low for vitamin D before surgery.  A normal reading (according to my lab report) is between 35 and 85 and mine was 8!!  I was put on supplements -- first prescription (which was D2 and inferior) and then on D3.  I was taking extremely large doses for a while until my blood tests were back in the normal range.  My B12 was also low -- with 221-650 normal and I was at 98. I was able to get both of them in the normal range in less than two months time.   

I go to the Cleveland Clinic and my bariatrician likes my levels to be higher than what is standard goal on lab tests.  Since my RNY, my D3 is always between 80 and 100 (her target) and my B12 is between 700 - 900 (also in target) -- so it is completely possible not only to have surgery despite low results and to maintain normal (and in my case slightly higher) afterwards.  

I wish you lots of success in getting your levels into a safe/normal range before surgery.  I wouldn't panic!  I would guess that a lot of us suffering from obesity have deficiencies.  So this isn't anything that that hasn't been addressed by many of us before you that had WLS.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Rebecca R.
on 10/6/14 10:00 pm - APO AE, Germany

It is important to get your levels up because you will heal better from the surgery. I had RNY 7 years ago and thought my levels were good except vitamin D. In February I had an internal hernia surgery and ended up having an additional 5 surgeries in 3 weeks from the first surgery and spent 4 months. My surgeon claims it on my poor absorption level and my bowels kept leaking.  The doctor did not do any pree-book work before this surgery. He told my husband that if he would have known my levels were low he would have taken the time to build my system up first.  I know it is heartbreaking if you have to delay your surgery, but it can avoid problems down the road.