Getting nervous...labs all over the place. Advice?

Tanya H.
on 10/2/14 5:25 am
VSG on 01/20/15

Hello all,

I am new to the forums. I've been through the 6 month wait that my insurance requires. I am now ready for my pre-surgical consultation with my surgeon. I have gotten very nervous now. My labs were pretty bad on last check. Vitamin D-extremely low, iron-extremely low, blood count-low, thiamin-low.  I'm afraid that they are going to stop me from having the surgery. I'm also afraid that I won't be able to have the RNY and may have to change to VSG. Any advice on how to help my lab results?

Chilipepper
on 10/2/14 6:50 am

Welcome. 

You need to speak to your surgeon about your labs. Have you seen him since you got your results. Did he recommend something. Who said they are all over the place?  

Again you need to speak to your surgeon and healthcare practitioners about your labs. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Tanya H.
on 10/2/14 7:29 am
VSG on 01/20/15

I have not seen the surgeon yet. At the weight loss center I go to they don't schedule you until your 6 mos of history is complete. The doctor gave me the results, told me to take iron supplements, vitamin C, Vitamin D 50,000U and Vitamin B1 plus a multi. I'm just wondering if there's something I can do outside of that or if someone else has dealt with this. 

Chilipepper
on 10/2/14 9:52 am

You are asking a bunch of strangers. Do what you surgeon told you to do. Take what he told you to take. 

He is the one that is going to be operating on you. He looked at your labs. Eat healthy and take the supplements he told you to take and you will be fine. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Tanya H.
on 10/2/14 11:24 am
VSG on 01/20/15

Never mind. Geez. I won't post again. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/2/14 2:10 pm - OH

Feel free to keep posting.  This topic is just a sore spot for her.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tanya H.
on 10/2/14 10:31 pm
VSG on 01/20/15

Thanks, Lora! :)

Bubbles314
on 10/2/14 12:16 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I to am anemic and low vitamin D.  I take all the meds you are plus B complex and Calcium citrate per Dr orders.  I started 6 months before I have my surgery.  My surgery is monday so I hope my levels have improved.  I know the Dr ran the tests I just did not get my copies.

Good luck and I am not a Dr but this is what mine prescribed too

Tanya H.
on 10/2/14 10:33 pm
VSG on 01/20/15

See, that's what I was wondering...maybe I should've started taking supplements months ago after my initial lab work. I just don't want to delay this surgery anymore. I've already had to wait over2 years, had to change insurances. I'm just feeling discouraged. I will take the supplements and pray that my numbers go up.

thanks so much for responding.

Chilipepper
on 10/2/14 3:11 pm, edited 10/2/14 10:40 pm

This website has a lot people telling you what to take not knowing your weight, your overall health, your surgeons suggestions and requirments. You first said you didn't see him then you say you saw him and explained the labs and told you what to take. You are asking strangers who haven't seen your labs to give you medical advice over the Internet. You doctor saw your labs and told you what to take. I don't see what isn't clear. Tell him on your next visit you took his advise but decided that a bunch of strangers on a website knew better and see what he says.