Surgery or Yet Another Diet...

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/14 1:10 am

Hi Everyone!

This is my very first post here on Obesityhelp.  I am hoping to get some answers here...

I am not sure if I should have the surgery or not.  I've always struggled with my weight all my life.  Always been overweight but after I got married 13 yrs ago, I gained about 100 lbs.  I weigh 275 and my height is 5' 4".  I am a diabetic, on thyroid medication, high cholesterol, and have PCOS.  I've been a diabetic since 14 yrs ago. It started off with pills but as I gained more weight I am now insulin dependent.  I have been on a diet all my life!  I would lose some and then gain all plus more back.  Now I am at the point that I can't take it anymore!  I have two small children who I want to live for.  

The reason I am here is because I want to lose about 120 lbs but I have a million 'what ifs' going on in my head.  I need your help to get started and I am seeking some advice as to how life is after surgery.  I don't want to regret going through the surgery.  I am always thinking what if I try one more diet and see if I can get good results instead of the surgery.  Any helpful words will be appreciated!  I am thinking about getting the sleeve done..

corinedior
on 10/2/14 1:51 am - TORONTO, Canada
RNY on 06/26/12

Hello,

It’s not an easy thing to do or to choose from.  I struggle with my weight for years as well but in 2012 I decided that the Surgery was for the best.

So it's not going to be diet or a quick fix but a lifestyle change.

You will have to cook your meal which is the key to long-term success.

I had almost same medical issues as you but know only have one condition left which will not change at all. But I’m thankful of the surgery because of the second chance that I got.

My last adv to you is to

1: figure the reason you want to have it

2: surrender yourself with positive people

3: embrace the change

4: stay away from any Triggers and stress

And the rest you will be fine.

Take care

SandieMc49
on 10/2/14 1:57 am

I finally lost weight:

-  when I stopped dieting

-  after I realized that for years I had tried and lost and regained weight back eventually

-  when I realized I needed help in maintaining a sensible, reasonable, "doable", and sustaining solution

- when I had a gastric bypass

Sandie

Luvmygs
on 10/2/14 2:19 am
VSG on 12/04/14

I was there last year. Same thoughts, doubts, and concerns. I did alot of research on the WLS and I even attended a few WLS support groups. This gave me the chance to hear up front from people who went through what I was going through and had the surgery. I think I've lost at least 200 lbs in my life time with all the different diets, but as I get older its harder to lose weight and I want to be healthier. Please do some research and you'll find out that from all the pro's and con's, the con's will came up front wining! Good luck on your decision and be sure to ask any concerns on OH, these people are a fantastic resource.

jastypes
on 10/2/14 3:27 am - Croydon, PA

My experience has taught me that diets don't work -- like EVER.  This surgery worked for me, as I maintain a 140 pound weight loss after 7 years.  Yes, it takes commitment and dedication, but it is the strongest tool I have in my toolbox when it comes to combatting obesity.  A big plus is that I no longer have diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, GERD or heel spurs.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/14 10:34 am

I had a VSG done 3 months ago and it was the best decision I ever made.  I am only 4ft9 and was 260lbs a few months before surgery.  I am happy to say I am now 212. No blood pressure meds or high cholesterol meds anymore.  I went to the Barix Clinic and had amazing care and support.  I am an emergency department nurse for many years so I researched for a long time for a quality place and found it at the Barix Clinic .   It is a tool and complete life style change but so worth it.  I haven't had this much energy since I was 19.