X

kerry B.
on 9/28/14 1:55 am
VSG on 11/04/13

Breathe.  

This is a tough time in your journey.  You are dealing with many emotional aspects of your weight and surgery did not fix the stuff in your head.  There is no way I could have made it this far without my therapist.  My best advice would be to find a therapist, particularly one who works with people trying to manage their weight. Your surgeon's office might have some suggestions or do some research in your area.

Also, I know the previous poster is trying to be helpful, but please do not ever do the chew and spit thing.  The previous poster may have navigated this technique without any difficulty, but it is a bonafide eating disorder waiting to happen.

Good luck and get back on the train right now and move forward.  

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/14 4:30 am
RNY on 08/26/14

Thank you mysweetsleeve, I am seeing a counselor. I always knew that the surgery would be a tool for the body not the mind. I do need to find more support than that however, am thinking of some local support groups for when I cannot get to my bariatric centers groups. 

Thanks again, and no I don't want to do the chew and spit, I may not be able to deal with that as well as others. 

lisashe
on 9/28/14 2:21 am - Cary, NC

Hi, First and foremost, stop beating yourself up. You depend on YOU to get your body the way you want it to be. Stop beating yourself up, and move on. Speaking for myself, I had RNY in 2003. Started at 341,and got down to 117(way too thin). Hovered around 150 forever, and then with the passing of my mom last November, I have gained, and back up to 182. I m telling you this to show you that your surgery is indeed a tool, like everyone says it is. Your emotions and mind set, make a HUGE difference in how well you progress in your journey. I have eaten WAY more than I should have numerous times in 11 years....The first five months I lost 100 lbs, and I attribute that to really sticking to the rules my surgeon gave me. My diet was very restricted the first 6 weeks post-surgery. Chicken wa**** or miss for me for the first two years. I can have it now with no problem. You will continue to have cravings, your surgery didn't remove that part :) Just now, be satisfied with a very small amount of whatever it is so you don't feel deprived. I will make a cake for my son, and have two bites of a piece, and I am done. If you continually over eat, you will eventually stretch your pouch, so it's good that you are reaching out for advice now. You had a hiccup, it's over.... :) Also, please try not to compare your weight loss to someone else's (your step-sister). There are sooo many factors that go into an individual's weight loss.  Remember, proteins first, eat more small meals through the day, and don't drink within 30 minutes before you eat ....  Best of luck to you!!

Lisa S 

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/14 10:15 pm
RNY on 08/26/14

Thank you so much lisashe! It is good to hear someone else's hiccups. Thank you for answering my question about the pouch. And I am trying to let the step sister issue go :)  

Bonnie250
on 9/28/14 3:22 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Darlin' you didnt do anything that we ALL havent done. You ate some extra protein. SO WHAT? Did you throw up? So WHAT you let your emotions guide your eating a chicken wing? At least you are now aware of emotional eating....Get up, dust yourself off, stand tall and be proud! Today is a new day, with new hope,and new promises! You didnt hurt your pouch, I assure you...Oh, and please dont compare your weigh loss to your stepsisters, or ANYONE elses. That's not what you need to focus on. She will have stalls while YOU are losing, and vise versa...This is NOT a weight loss contest. Sometimes slower weight loss means better long term success. Ánd my dear, are far from a failure. No, you didnt strech out your pouch...Hang in there, things are going to happen good and bad during your weight loss journey. We all test our pouches, mostly out of curiosity. Just be careful from here on out, I know you will. You are super dedicated! ((hugs)) You GOT THIS!!!

Bonnie

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/14 4:38 am
RNY on 08/26/14

Bonnie! *hugs* I should of messaged you first huh?! I am up and dusted, and yes today is a new, just still in that I CANT BELIEVE I DID THAT WHEN I SAID I WASN'T! phase... Have been doing well today, but am sticking with the basics today. My steppies and I have a very strained relationship, so it is hard :( But I keep telling myself that it is NOT a race. It just irks me about how things were done, when she could've been my support system all the way thru this instead of hearing the word fail all the time... BUT Funny enough I did not want to go out and walk today and SHE was the one that got me up and going. 

Most def treading on egg shells from here on out! Lol (even tho it's not really funny) Going back to basics for a few days and then going to reintroduce. I am suppose to start a soft diet, but need to get clarification on what that is! What can be more soft than pureed :) 

Thanks a lot Bonnie *hugs* 

Bonnie250
on 9/28/14 10:31 am
RNY on 08/25/14

That-a-girl!!!  ((hugs)) wish we lived in the same town, and could go out for pureed lunch together....lol!

Bonnie

NYMom222
on 9/28/14 10:56 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Be kind to yourself. If stretching your pouch was that easy everyone would have stretched pouches. Every doc is different, but by 1 month out I was on regular food... I wouldn't have been pureeing. So the fact that it wasn't pureed isn't as big a deal.

The hard part is not comparing and feeling like a failure. I ate 2 SF Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches last week... slider foods, went down easy. But not so easy on my brain... the guilt. We live and learn. That's the point, we need to learn from our experiences. That is part of the journey. I know I've failed so many times at weight loss, that it's hard to believe this is going to work. That's why I think it's important to listen and learn from others. Forgive yourself, and forgive your sister. New day, put the past behind you. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/14 10:18 pm
RNY on 08/26/14

Thank you NYMom222. IT is really good to hear that I haven't screwed up my pouch! All these replies saying that I have not done so is really helping me. Thank you again for the kind words. Yesterday was a blah day but I didn't feel good, not sure if it was the wing****ting me or just a bug. So far today doing good and getting back to walking! Thanks again!

aprilalamgir
on 9/28/14 2:13 pm

I could understand why someone might think your on a path to an eating disorder....but for me, the "spit diet" has helped with battling a craving for salt. So I have been drinking between 64-96oz of fluid a day so I definitely was not dehydrated and I have never been a salty snack eater. My doctors office was closed for the weekend and I had no support or help to figure this out. I chose to eat a few pieces of popcorn(6-10) and what didn't dissolve I spit out. It helped with my craving and once I got the craving satisfied I was done. Didn't want anymore after that.  So you have to look at the situation before I think you should tell someone their on the path to an eating disorder.  An cupcake honey, don't beat yourself up there's always going to be a temptation around every corner. Your just going to have to learn to control the amount of temptation you allow yourself to cave in to. It's apart of the learning process. It happens to us all. Just be mindful.  Sending my thoughts and prayers for a successful journey.