Elevated TSH...

Carrie C.
on 9/24/14 8:15 am - Victoria, TX

I had my RNY 5 yrs 10 mnths ago. My question is...

for the last 7 mnths my TSH levels have been and remain elevated...ideas why? Endo increases my synthesis but I'm concerned!!! I was dwn to the 175 mcg and now I'm on 225mcg and facing another increase.

any info guidance would be greatly appreciated👍

thnx

carrie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/24/14 10:37 am - OH

There are lots of things that can affect your hormone levels including your thyroid, and most of them have nothing to do with your RNY, but have you changed the time of day or what you take your meds with?  Several things can affect the absorption.

Have you added any new medications?

Also, if you are peri-menopausal or menopausal, that can lower your levels as well.

I had a decrease in my Synthroid briefly after I had my surgery (maybe about 2 years out?!?  Hard to remember) but 9 months later we had to put it back at my original dose.  I have no idea what that was, but I had been on the 175 for several years and have been on it since that little hiccup.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

diane48
on 9/24/14 3:17 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I had a hard time getting my levels regulated after surgery.  I think it had a lot to do with the vitamin/calcium supplements.  I now take my Synthroid at bedtime without any supplements and it is finally working.  I feel so much better and have been able to get the Synthroid lowered to 150 mcg.  Even taking it 1 hour before breakfast and supplements didn't make a difference.