6mo regulated diet?

Bethanyjm
on 9/23/14 1:39 pm

Hey guys! 

I know my insurance will require a six month diet before they will cover surgery. Did anyone else have one of these and if so how structured was yours? I went to my pcp who just prescribed me a couple weight loss pills and said to eat lots of small meals and under 1500 calories but nothing about keeping a food journal etc. Anyone have an experience To share?

Missourimedic
on 9/23/14 1:54 pm
VSG on 10/06/14 with

When I looked into my Insureance covering mine it was 6 months supervised program with a mandatory monthly meeting/appointment . 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/23/14 10:52 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

They all vary. The insurance will dictate who will supervise you. Sometimes it's the surgeon, his program, your PCP, etc. Follow whatever they tell you, get them to sign off that you've met the requirements, and you'll be good to go. Some have very few hoops, some have a lot.

Approach this as being a good thing. The harder you work for these six months, the better your outcome will be.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mary Gee
on 9/24/14 12:05 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

^^^^^^Like Grim said.  Definitely, definitely check with your insurance company.  I was lucky - I had been seeing my PCP monthly for a year, and we generally discussed my weight.  He did a letter stating I saw him monthly, etc. and that was sufficient for MY insurer.  But I've seen many others who have had to go on strict programs to satisfy THEIR insurer.  I was biting my nails waiting for approval because I was not sure the PCP letter would suffice - I consider myself very lucky.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Valerie G.
on 9/24/14 12:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

To save yourself another six months and a bunch of heartache, call the insurance company to give you some very specific instructions on what they're looking for.  Some require monthly, even weekly check-ins on whatever program you're on.  If you miss one, you may have to start all over again, so don't risk it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes