Lifestyle change vs. Surgery

Oliviawashere
on 9/23/14 3:32 am

It might be just me or maybe a few people have gone through it. I fear the gastric sleeve surgery, I fear not waking up and dieing. This leads me to other thoughts, why can't I just go on a pre-op diet & post op diet without the surgery & hopefully watch the pounds fall off, with a whole new lifestyle approach. Why do I need this surgery if I just limit my intake of food and just block out my hunger pangs & head thoughts as well as exercise hardcore? What exactly would this surgery do for me as a tool, that I couldn't do on my own if i put my mind to it?

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 4:10 am - OH

I couldn't eat so little food without having had WLS.  I'd be really hungry and not be able to stick to that plan. But if you are able to do it by just putting your mind to it, then by all means, do so.

If you're considering WLS, though, haven't you already tried eating less?  Were you able to do it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/23/14 5:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I could take my laundry down to the river.  I could get buckets of cold spring water out, heat it over a fire I build, scrub the clothes against a wash board and hang them all to dry.  My clothes could definitely get clean without my washing machine and dryer -- it would just take a lot longer, they'd likely not get as clean, I'd likely have a lot less clothes and I'd be frustrated at the shear misery of it.  But, I could do it if I put my mind to it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Oliviawashere
on 9/23/14 5:13 am

Thank you for that. That was a very great anology, put things better into prespective. :)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/23/14 5:31 am
RNY on 12/31/13

:-)  My pleasure.  

I just wanted to add: being obese is usually not due for lack of effort.  

My only regret is that I waited so long to admit that i needed help.  That's not a failure.  There's so much crap attached to obesity that we begin to internalize it.  There is nothing wrong with using the smartest and most efficient method to attain the best possible health. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 5:39 am - OH

And if I had to do that, I would just be wearing dirty clothes a good bit of the time.  I don't have the energy to do that every week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bonnie250
on 9/23/14 7:37 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Love it. 

Bonnie

tstowe
on 9/23/14 7:37 am
On September 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM Pacific Time, K. White wrote:

I could take my laundry down to the river.  I could get buckets of cold spring water out, heat it over a fire I build, scrub the clothes against a wash board and hang them all to dry.  My clothes could definitely get clean without my washing machine and dryer -- it would just take a lot longer, they'd likely not get as clean, I'd likely have a lot less clothes and I'd be frustrated at the shear misery of it.  But, I could do it if I put my mind to it.

Damn...that's good.

Lilly M.
on 9/23/14 10:50 pm
RNY on 09/10/14

Wow! Great and true analogy .

Revision from Nissen Fundoplication to Roux-en-Y on 09/10/14. HW (214) 05/12/14 SW (198.8)

Tracy D.
on 9/23/14 5:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

What this surgery did for me that nothing else did for me before: 

1.  Cut most of the hunger hormone out of my stomach so I no longer have hardly any "hunger pangs".  Before I would get insanely hungry and it would lead me to bad choices.  90% of the time now I eat on schedule to feed my body, NOT because I actually feel real hunger.  Therefore, I make much better choices.  

2.  I would never have felt satisfied with the small portions I eat now if I still had a full-size stomach.  I am physically satisfied with smaller amounts of feed even though my brain thinks I may need to eat more.  

3.  I don't know about you but I wasted over 30 years trying to stick to countless diets, losing weight and then gaining it all back with bonus pounds.  

4.  I was MUCH too heavy to engage in serious physical exercise.  I would get easily hurt and then stop doing anything while I recuperated.   The surgery allowed me to lose and quickly get to a much safer weight for serious exercise.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15