Holiday Havoc vs. Happiness

jastypes
on 9/24/14 4:10 am - Croydon, PA

The dreaded Halloween candy has already made an appearance in my office.  This time of year can be challenging for a lot of people.  I am committing right here, right now, to not eating any Halloween candy.  Now, I work a one-day-at-a-time program, so I can really just make that commitment for today.  Who's with me? 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

mobailey68
on 9/24/14 4:22 am
RNY on 02/24/14

I will join you on that challenge. No Candy! One day at a time. 

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

Cathy W.
on 9/26/14 8:50 am

I started a goal not to eat Halloween candy on the OH Goal system so we can make it official and do it together.  I hope you'll join me in the challenge!

siberiancat
on 9/24/14 5:11 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have made it a habit to not eat high calorie/low nutrition  food.  That includes processed foods and most white (flour/sugar) food, chips, etc.

Halloween candy is very high calorie and not much nutrition.  My body need nutritious fuel to function and replace cells in brain, heart, liver, kidneys, etc.

I don't buy it and don't eat it.  I keep "real food" in my office so I never feel deprived at work.

Best wishes at staying out of that candy.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

MNvan
on 9/25/14 2:21 pm

Would you share some examples of real food you keep at your office? I need some new ideas for alternatives to the "office buffet."

siberiancat
on 9/25/14 10:16 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have access to a refrigerator.  I keep greek yogurt, cheese sticks, packs of tuna, berries and ready to drink protein drinks in the refrigerator.  I keep fruit in my office, nut butter, nuts, Gluten Free crackers, rice cakes and protein bars in my desk.  I pack my lunch every day - so there are no "spur of the moment" impulse decisions.

I also have an electric tea pot and have hot tea or hot protein drinks available.  I can make ice tea buy brewing a cup of hot tea - pouring in a large glass or tumbler and adding ice.

Once you plan what things are good protein, veggie and fruit and take them to lunch and have "emergency" supplies on hand - there is no reason to reach for bad food choices.

I am 5 years post RNY.  I do eat Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt.  I break off one square and break that square in 4 pieces.  I never chew and swallow.  I allow the 1/4 piece to melt in my mouth and savor it.  I find it satisfies my desire for chocolate without consuming excess calories as each square is about 45 calories and each square allows me 4 servings.

It all takes time.  I do keep a written food diary several months out of the year to keep myself on track.  It is easy to let empty carbs sneak back in and start gaining.  Food diary keeps me accountable.

Hope this helps.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Gwen M.
on 9/24/14 5:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Can I just say how grateful I am that I don't work in an office?  My partner comes home every day to tell me about brownies and donuts etc.  I'd go insane!  You guys impress me so much for staying strong!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TheNewT
on 9/24/14 5:41 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I had to convince the people at work to have my birthday food party on a day that I won't be in the office. I don't want to see the donuts, cookies, soda, chips, hashbrown casserole. Sorry, I got in a zone for a minute. If just typing those words got me going imagine having to smell them for 9 hours. Uh...No!

No Halloween candy for this chick! I've got a mission.

angel720
on 9/24/14 9:17 am
VSG on 08/06/14

The day after halloween I  give away the candy my kids got at school and from the neighbors, of course I usually  have a few before doing this.  It will not be easy but I  accept the challenge.  I am in! 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Bubbles314
on 9/24/14 10:45 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm in, but I am on my 3 week all liquid diet, surgery October 6th then you know the drill.  So no candy for me...

People where I live that shall remain nameless eat pizza, ice cream, popcorn (the smell is killing me I can't eat it for how long?).  I have to leave the room with my sf jello/protein shake.  Sometimes I look at Theworldaccordingtoeggface and pick the first thing I want to make when I can eat real food again.

Best of luck to all of us