Do you still enjoy food Post Op ?

Nic M
on 10/2/14 1:44 am

I opted against revision after being traumatized by my horrific band experience, as well. 

Glad you got some info about your band issues. It's too bad that some doctors don't take their patients seriously. My original surgeon was an ass, so I went to one who wasn't. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

KattattaK
on 10/2/14 5:20 am

Wish I could find one who isn't!!!

56sunShine14
on 10/2/14 2:28 am

Mister Moose , is that from Captain Kangaroo that you took that name?  Just wondered.

Anyway, my first response is don't get the band!!  But it is YOUR choice, nobody else's.

My second is that, yes, you can still enjoy food post-op...AFTER you lose your weight and in tiny increments because you can't hold more than 3 oz. But you will learn to savor the taste.

Now my advice:  I had the band in 2007 until 2014.  Had it removed in July this year.  I lost weight but at a cost I was no longer willing to pay, vomiting all the time.  And, I regained the weight lost and then some because I lost faith in the band and in myself. For 4 years, I thought I was just "stuck" with it.  Then I came back onto OH and found another option, the sleeve.,  Starting to have hope, I looked into it with a different surgeon.  I am now just steps before surgery and yes, I had a couple of "food funerals".

I made a small list of the foods I have not had since pre-lap band that I really thought I missed.  I gave myself 2 weeks after healing from band removal to have these foods again but only one time for each food/drink.  After the 2 weeks, I realized that those things I missed so much...didn't taste all that great to me anymore and it was a total waste of time when I could have been losing weight again.

I eat because I need to in order to survive.  I am still fighting the sugar and carb monster and probably always will. But this time is the last chance I get to reverse the obesity that has stolen my entire adult life!  I get no more chances like this...and I WILL succeed.

I hope you do too.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cherokeesage
on 10/13/14 4:55 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I enjoy a large variety of foods in much smaller portions and try to keep protein first on the menu.   This wasn't the case the first year post op as my pouch was very sensitive. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.