Do you still enjoy food Post Op ?

MisterMoose
on 9/23/14 12:48 pm

I am at the initial consideration/education/consultation/pre-approval stages of WLS, originally considering Lap-Band, but now leaning more towards sleeve.

I have been really limiting  my portions carefully the past few weeks, just to mentally get an idea of what a life of  tiny (Post-Op)  portions may be like.     

However, today (while traveling out west), I went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant of mine in that area and splurged on their  normal "lunch special"  ( 2 soft tacos/rice/beans) .

I really enjoyed it, but afterwards I wondered if (post op) I would ever again even have the desire to eat Mexican (albeit much smaller portions), or if I would be able to even tolerate spicier foods, or for that matter would I ever really enjoy any  food again?  

I realize that it is a total lifestyle change, but for you seasoned Post-Ops, I would like to hear your comments.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

lburrell
on 9/23/14 12:56 pm

I'm not a seasoned post op...only 8 weeks out...but I can tell you I still enjoy and desire well flavored, good food. I just have to be more thoughtful in my choices. I love spicy food and so far have tolerated my fave hot sauces...just have to remember I can't drink while eating so choose more moderate spice. And of course portions are smaller and I don't eat pasta rice or bread. I'm getting pretty good at finding ways to dress up my proteins to make them very flavorful.

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

MisterMoose
on 9/23/14 1:00 pm

Thanks...  That is good to know.    How are you doing overall at 8 weeks Post Op?   Any regrets/surprises?

kathkeb
on 9/23/14 12:57 pm

With my band, there are some foods I cannot enjoy anymore.  I cannot take a big enough bite of a sandwich or burger to enjoy them.

I could order a burger and eat tiny nibbles of it, or toss the bin and eat small bites of meat, but it is not the same as taking a bite of a burger/bun/fixings experience.

I get plent of enjoy,ent from food, but make different choices now.

My sister who has a sleeve can eat anything .... Just less of it.

She has made a concerted effort to stay away from processed carbs, so she enjoys her Taco plate with a few bites of everything except the flour Tortillia.   She seems to enjoy her food as much now as she did pre op.

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 9/23/14 6:04 pm, edited 9/23/14 6:05 pm - UK

Much more!  I used to think I loved food but I didn't, I enjoyed eating.  I shoved piles of food into my mouth and thought it gave me pleasure.

Now I look forward to good food and savour the taste, I appreciate flavours. I have the ability to wait which I didn't before and that enhances the pleasure of food. 

Because I don't eat much, what I do eat is usually carefully chosen and better quality and treats really are treats and so give real pleasure. 

There are for me, no foods I am unable to eat so I can choose freely. Kathkeb talks of the difference between her band and her sister's sleeve, I am banded but it sounds as if I eat more like her sleeved sister. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/23/14 9:00 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Yeah, I totally enjoy food the same as I did before, just less of it and sometimes different choices than I may have made pre op. But nothing is forbidden in my book. And I still love taste, texture, flavour etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Eggface
on 9/23/14 10:18 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I'm with Kate. I enjoy it way more... I eat really good stuff (limited real estate) instead of the carby space fillers I ate. 

I love Mexican Food http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/05/eggfa ce-healthy-mexican-food-pinterest.html Fajitas and beans are a staple at my house. Guacamole Mmmm.

Hope this puts your fear to rest a bit :) great food is on the other side of WLS.

Best wishes!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

poet_kelly
on 9/23/14 10:30 pm - OH

I enjoy food very much and love spicy things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AngryViking
on 9/23/14 10:34 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

No, not really.  I eat because I have to, but I don't find the same enjoyment in it.  But I think that the "enjoyment" of it is what got me into this situation in the first place.

tstowe
on 9/24/14 1:34 am
On September 24, 2014 at 5:34 AM Pacific Time, AngryViking wrote:

No, not really.  I eat because I have to, but I don't find the same enjoyment in it.  But I think that the "enjoyment" of it is what got me into this situation in the first place.

Same here. Now, I'm only three weeks out but I just eat because I have to eat. I'm on the soft food stage. Maybe it will change once I get to real foods though. But there's only so much creative cooking I can do with a food processor. :O)