In the beginning.....

mljohns
on 9/23/14 2:43 am
DS on 01/27/15

Hi everyone, I'm new to OH and new to the process of preparing for WLS. I am a type 2 diabetic and have been on an insulin pump for several years. I use U500 insulin in my pump due to severe insulin resistance. I have been fat my entire life and like most have tried every diet/exercise program out there. Being an insulin user, it is extremely difficult to lose weight no matter the diet plan or the amount of exercise. This of course leads to frustration and frustration leads to chocolate. After a miserable failure of trying a vegan program as a way to control my blood sugar and lose weight, I started giving serious thought to WLS. Two co-workers had surgery last year (1 had DS, the other RNY), they're both extremely happy with their choice and they look and feel fabulous. I honestly have always considered WLS as the "easy" way. As I'm doing research I'm finding I was wrong. There is no "easy" way. So far, I'm back on a high protein/low carb diet to be followed with a clear liquid diet. My surgeon calls it the "sandwich diet". I had an endoscopy last week and several tests preparing for surgery. I don't have a surgery date but am hoping for some time in mid to late December. With all of the above said, here's my question for you surgery vets.....what is the one thing you wish you had known before you had surgery? If you had known that, would you still have had surgery?

SandieMc49
on 9/23/14 6:20 am

The emotional roller coaster that is WLS and losing large amounts of weight.  The emotional roller coaster that is seeing your body a smaller size and your mind seeing your pre-surgical self because your mind hadn't caught up yet.  I didn't know that was normal.  Of all the things in all the literature I was given and topics at the support groups I attended, that was never addressed.  I have always said that I am going to write a book entitled "Life Was So Much Easier When I Was Fat!"

Because, for quite a while it was.  I could go into a store and right to the 3x's - no problem.  Then came weight loss.  Now what do I do?  What size do I take now?  What size do I take this week?  What size do I take this month?  I had a lot of not fun experiences for a while.  It was confusing.  I remember almost crying and leaving the store upset more than once!  Until one time I MADE myself deal with it.  And yup, it got easier.  Now I don't even know where the PLUS size department is in the stores I shop in.  What a victory man, what a freakin' victory!

Oh, and of course I still would have had the surgery had I known.  I had come to terms with the fact that I needed help to sustain appreciable and lasting weight loss.  And I viewed that revelation as a strength.  And I honor that to this day.

All the best to you,

Sandie

mljohns
on 10/3/14 6:51 am
DS on 01/27/15

Thanks Sandie. Okay one more thing to think about...finding clothes post-op. I've imagined it would be fun having more choices but from your comment I can see if would be odd to shop in a different area of the store, or for that matter different stores. I finished all my labs. I have a couple of iron infusions, a the "sandwich" diet to work with for a bit. Insurance has denied the sleep study my doctor would like me to take, but everything is going well.

Thanks again for your comments!

Michelle

mljohns
on 12/23/14 6:48 am
DS on 01/27/15

Finally approved! After months of tests, test and more tests. I finally received notice that I have been approved for the SADI. I'm excited and anxious, but also a bit scared. So as I start the final processes, what words of wisdom can you all give me?

MsBatt
on 12/23/14 8:46 am

May I ask why you've chosen the SADI over the traditional DS? The DS has proven long-term results for remission of diabetes---the SADI has no long-term stats AT ALL.