Lap-band bound

Valerie G.
on 9/21/14 10:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Yeah, not until they have to remove it in an emergency surgery because it's slipped, or your stomach has eroded and grown around it and they have to dissect your stomach to remove it.  You're aware that this is a TEMPORARY device, and not a permanent solution, right?

I also strongly recommend you read the Revisions board.  We have a couple of very successful bandsters but many have nightmares to share.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/21/14 1:00 pm - OH

If you do independent research (i.e., not relying on info from a surgeon who does band surgery or information provided by companies who manufacturer bands or otherwise profit from the,, you will find that the statistics on weight loss and regain are the worst of any of the surgeries (the statistics are actually pretty abysmal), and rate of a second surgery because of complications for a band is higher than for any of the other surgeries.  

The thing that is scary to me is having a band put in, not losing as much weight as you want/need to lose, having to have surgery (frequently emergency surgery) to correct a problem or remove the band, and then regaining the weight that you did manage to lose.

Yes, some people ARE successful with the band, but the vast majority are not.  Everyone has to make the decision for themselves, but it sounds as if the information you have gathered isn't very accurate.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/14 5:00 pm - Heber, AZ
On September 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM Pacific Time, amberenee1984 wrote:

It seems the safest. I'm to scared to do the other surgeries. 

The surgery itself is safer but long term it is anything but safe.  Nobody keeps a band forever, which surgery type will you choose when your band fails?

Amy R.
on 9/21/14 10:10 am

We just want you to make sure  you know as much as possible about the Band and your other options, frankly because of threads like this:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/5271531/Anybody-else- feel-like-its-not-working-for-them/

amy

Nic M
on 9/21/14 11:24 am

The Lap Band is the biggest, most painful mistake I've ever made. It's a horrible device. It causes so much damage and so much pain. I wish I could talk you out of it. It's so awful watching people make the same mistake I did. (And I had it done back in 2003... so I've seen a lot of people suffer with their bands.) 

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck. I'd really research heavily, though. Google- "Referred Left Shoulder pain + Lap Band" and "Vagus nerve + Lap Band." You'll see a lot of people with this painful complication. Also take into account that you'll most likely have to revise or have the band removed in less than 10 years. (The manufacturer no longer considers the band to be a lifetime product and most people do end up with subsequent surgeries... either corrective, revision, or removal.) Many insurance companies say, "no way" when it comes to paying for a second surgery or even band removal. So be prepared to have to pay out of pocket. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Cheryl N.
on 9/21/14 2:03 pm - Des Moines, WA

Don't do it.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/21/14 5:49 pm - UK

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 8 years post-op.i do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

We still need lots of will power. The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for head hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight!

Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits in real life. In fact, contrary to the experience of many on here, almost all the people I know with bands are still happy with them 6-10 years post-op. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ladygodiva1228
on 9/22/14 12:10 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Yea the lap band really isn't the best decision one can make. 

Like Kate said she and a few others are happy and lucky them have not had much if any issues with the band.  But in reality more and more surgeons are either no longer doing the band or are fazing out doing them.  They are taking more bands out than they are installing something to really think about.  Any good, honest surgeon would not recommend the lap band.

It seems like one of the long term issues is becoming scar tissue that forms around the band, tubing and port causing pain, tightness, heartburn, reflux, all sorts of crap.

You said you didn't want this to be another failed attempt then I would strongly suggest you look at the sleeve, bypass or DS. 

With the band you will have to work to get the weightloss you want it is not going to just melt off.

Question what if you get the band and you only 10lbs a month for the first 6 months and then stop.  Regardless of how many fills and unfills you get you still can not lose any more than the 60lbs.  How will that make you feel?  Will you have wished you had a different WLS? 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

56sunShine14
on 9/22/14 10:10 am
On September 22, 2014 at 7:10 AM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

Yea the lap band really isn't the best decision one can make. 

Like Kate said she and a few others are happy and lucky them have not had much if any issues with the band.  But in reality more and more surgeons are either no longer doing the band or are fazing out doing them.  They are taking more bands out than they are installing something to really think about.  Any good, honest surgeon would not recommend the lap band.

It seems like one of the long term issues is becoming scar tissue that forms around the band, tubing and port causing pain, tightness, heartburn, reflux, all sorts of crap.

You said you didn't want this to be another failed attempt then I would strongly suggest you look at the sleeve, bypass or DS. 

With the band you will have to work to get the weightloss you want it is not going to just melt off.

Question what if you get the band and you only 10lbs a month for the first 6 months and then stop.  Regardless of how many fills and unfills you get you still can not lose any more than the 60lbs.  How will that make you feel?  Will you have wished you had a different WLS? 

Just losing 10 lbs a month in the first 6 months is not as easy as it sounds with the band.  It took me 18 months just to get to proper restriction and this was going back and forth, a 45 minute drive each way, for months! to get a fill, take some out, get another fill, take some out.  I lost the first 30 lbs pre-surgery and only 80 total.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Tamarillicent
on 9/22/14 7:25 am - NY

Like the OP, I'm also considering Lap Band surgery. I'm not comfortable with the idea of removing and rerouting my innards so the Lap Band seemed like the way to go for me.

I've done some research and found that results 10 years out seem to be pretty good as long as the patient keeps up with the follow up visits. Are there any independent studies that show it being unsafe? My google-fu isn't always strong, I could use some help!  :)