diet plan approved by United Healthcare for the 6 month pre-surgery period.

FredeesMom
on 9/19/14 10:52 am

Is there such a thing as an approved diet plan from United Healthcare to be followed during the 6 month pre-surgery period???

I will not be seeing the nutritionist until October 2nd and would LOVE to get a jumpstart and understanding of the whole thing.

Thanks

Pat

kathkeb
on 9/20/14 1:51 am

Pat, I think it is less about the actual food plan, and more about the fact that you have 6 months of a "supervised" plan for the insurance company.

To jump start, you could look towards a South Beach type of eating plan, which is primarily low-carb ...... Eliminating simple carbs such as traditional snack foods and sugars.

When I decided to have WLS, I was self pay, so did not need a supervised diet.

I cut back on carbs, ate a protein centric diet, cut out all liquid calories, and lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks.

I also started using smaller plates, using smaller utensils, cutting my food into tiny bites, eating small bites and completely chewing and swallowing before the next bite.

Those behavior changes were as important as the food changes in preparing me for eating after my WLS.

Best of luck to you!!

Kath

FredeesMom
on 9/20/14 5:01 am

Thanks for the encouragement and info!! And, congratulations to you!!

Missourimedic
on 9/20/14 4:54 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Pat are you sure that UHC will cover WLS for you? I have UHC here in MO and it does not cover it I had to go self pay or use the VA for WLS.

if it does you can google bariatric surgery with United healthcare and it will have all your requirements on there.

FredeesMom
on 9/20/14 4:59 am

Yes, I have been approved.  The requirements for approval are also on the UHC site.  One thing they made you do is wait the 6 months while completing a comprehensive diet monitored by a physician. Just google UHC requirements for bariatric surgery approval and you will see...good luck!!

Bengal
on 9/20/14 6:14 am, edited 9/20/14 6:16 am

Hello l have United Healthcare and I was approved for WLS and it only took 2 or 3 days for approval. I wasn't required to do a diet plan or anything. I'm in GA

gr8ape
on 9/20/14 1:02 pm

It always depends on you employers chosen plan. We too are in mo At my husband's previous job they (uhc) didn't cover it at all because his employer had an exclusion. This employer he has uhc and they only require 5 day notice before surgery.

hollykim
on 9/20/14 1:23 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no,insurance companies don't provide diet guidelines,just like surgeons don't sell insurance,Kwim?  :)

eringudge
on 9/26/14 8:13 am
RNY on 07/28/14

I went through UHC, and the six month diet and exercise supervision consisted of me visiting my PCP monthly for six months. We discussed diet, exercise, how I was feeling, and I weighed in.

You can also do WW, but you have to do it consistently for six months. 

ksb1969
on 12/14/16 8:49 am

A little more than 2 years after this post so hopefully you will see this! I have been a member of WW for more than 6 months but I have not weighed in often as the meeting schedule conflicts so much with my work schedule. Do you know if they look specifically at the weekly weigh ins or just the amount of time and the total weight lost (or not lost)? Thanks for you help!