Unsure

Coperfield59
on 9/20/14 1:31 am - Yalaha, FL

Heather

Im 62 years old.  All my life I was skinny.  I was so skinny the school turned my parents into the board of health because they thought my parents were starving us.  That didn't prove to be the case. I weighed around 130 and I was 6 feet tall.  I stayed around 180 for most of my adult life.   When I hit 40 my weight started going up and up.  I hit a high of 400 lbs.  I know the feeling of waking up, looking at someone fat in the mirror and hating yourself, going to a store and get the fake smiles and overexagerated  fake service, getting on a plane and asking for a seat belt extender.  Ive done every diet out there with no success.  There are days you want to tell God, to take you now, that you have no need to continue living.  In 2007, I had a heart attack and needed a quadruple bypass.  In 2008, I had a stroke.  Its scary to hear a doctor tell you that you have a week or less to live or you will spend the rest of your life in a nursing home.  I went down to 350 when I had my RNY gastric bypass in 2010.  There was happiness when stepping on the scale, with clothes and shoes on to see that you made it to 299.  I went down to 235.  What a difference going to buy clothes in the normal section of Walmart instead of the plus size section of K-Mart.  I am 4 years post surgery.  I have gained some weight back. I weighed 260 this morning and it is another fight to lose again, but, Im not over 350 lbs.  I still look good, I look like a normal 62 year old.  There are days I get depressed, but they are new days I wouldn't have had if I didn't do what I did.  My decision for GBS RNY was the best I made in years.  You may be fat and I say fat because Im not PC.  I was FAT, so I can say it.  When I stepped on a scale it said one at a time please.  I ate my months supply of Ginny Craig in one day.  I know what you feel and what you are going through.  I can say that because I was there where you are.  If you decided to have the RNY surgery, follow what the doctor tells you.  I don't regret it even though my weight went back up 30 lbs, but 30 is better than 300.  I just need some help getting back down again.  You are not alone.  You will look in the mirror and see the person that is inside you.  The good person.  I burned all my fat clothes.  I bought a nice suit at Goodwill for $10. I look super skinny in it.  The smiles I get are real, not fake.  GBS did change my life.  I changed my life.  You will change your life!  I laugh at the doctors who told me I would be dead in a week.  Im still here and Im not giving up.  Its nice to go to Olive Garden and take home almost all of your meal and have it for the rest of the week.  Its fantastic to sit in a seat on a plane and be able to buckle the seat belt without an extender.  I walk 4 miles a day, drink a ton of water, take my vitamins and cant wait for tomorrow.  Much success with your life decision

Steve Verno

curlygreen1996
on 9/24/14 3:13 pm - Lawrenceville, IL

Wow. HeatherHoy it sounds like we are the same person. I am 25, weigh over 300 pounds and felt about the same way you do.

I have bounced around the "surgery idea" for about 3 years, finally about 5 months ago I made the decision to have surgery. BUT then came the thought of what kind of WLS should I have, so after a couple of months of doing tons of research I decided to have the VSG done, I have my first apt with the surgeon Oct-31-14 ! I am so excited. I knew this was the right surgery for me. But you do TONS research on your own ( Google is you best friend), look through this website and others, don't be afraid to ask questions !

Good Luck, keep us posted :)    

Katie_May
on 9/24/14 4:45 pm

You sound EXACTLY like me! Except I am 29. Literally exactly. I worked for years as a Cosmetologist, same weight, tried all of the same things you have tried, with a huge family history of issues. I decided to go for the surgery, because I have tried everything else, so why not try what is actually MEDICALLY proven to work; instead of what the infomercials lie about what works?

My surgery is October 27th and I could not be more excited. I am not even nervous about the whole thing. I am just so ready to get my life back, and I am so glad I am doing it now instead of waiting another 10 years. Truth is, I have considered it since I was 21 and just never really had the nerve to do it. I wish now I had done it back then. 8 years have gone by and I have probably put on another 40 lbs in that time. I really encourage you to educate yourself about the different surgeries and talk to your doctor. Get some input, and then if you feel good about it go for it! This is an awesome place to come for encouragement and advice. I have found so much relief here. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to message me sometime. 

Good luck!

Katie