Pre-op Diet plans

C H
on 9/17/14 1:57 pm

i wonder why it varies, i know someone who was alowed meat and veggies for two weeks, mine is similar to yours but im allowed a cup of steam veggies a day for 2 weeks. 

Bansheefaerie
on 9/17/14 2:10 pm
RNY on 09/25/14

Today is day 5 of my 10 day 800 cal pre op diet. The list they gave me has some weird things on it. Such as mashed potatoes and peas. I've been having protein drinks, chicken broth, unsweetened applesauce, sf jello and pudding, light soups, ground chicken and fat free milk. I've lost 7.5 pounds in 5 days. I don't understand why I can't have carrots!

HW 298.6 - Consultation weight 289.6 - SW 267.6 - CW 239.4  

~ Laura

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 9/17/14 10:51 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Carrots are actually a very high carb veggie that most likely is why.

Chilipepper
on 9/18/14 12:17 am

They are ful of sugar

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 9/18/14 12:13 am, edited 9/18/14 12:13 am

My first surgery 7 yrs ago was all food low carb and high protein. Not mashed potatoes and carrots and all the other carb loaded (fruit or not) stuff they are allowing now. Yes they want you to lose weight prior and shrink your liver.  But you can do that eating turkey and chicken and cheese. I used to make turkey and horseradish cheese wraps and I lost a ton of weight and my liver was great. 

My revision last week because of a mechanical failure.  I was on 4 shakes a day and all the liquid I could drink, water powerade zero ...and the last 2 days was clears. 

Of course you must listen to your surgeon but protein is protein. Whether you drink it ( which all retail shakes have carbs (Some of the better ones do not) or eat a few slices of natural turkey breast along with your shakes. 

I had surgery twice and had to do preop diets twice and they both worked exactly the same. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Colleen O.
on 9/18/14 12:52 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I had 2 weeks of 4-5 protein shakes a day plus a small meal of protein and veg.  My one suggestion would be to mix up your day a little bit to find what works best for you (I think you've said you can have a small meal once a day).  For me, it was easier for me to eat a little bit of real food throughout the day.  I could have 4-5oz of protein so I would have 2-3oz in the morning and then another 2-3oz in the evening.  I would have a small salad for lunch.  That way, I felt like I was eating real food throughout the day instead of only once a day.  That is just what worked for me.  Play around with it and see what works for you. 

I was staying with my parents for my pre-op phase and they were not dieting either.   I just asked them to keep everything put away out of sight and kept the things I could eat in a special spot.  Could you try something like this to help?

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Missourimedic
on 9/18/14 1:04 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Thank you all for the advise to is not so bad and I have been talking with my NUT and she said that I worrying to much a and to stick to the diet plan that she has laid out from the doctor. I have been doing my best but know I can do better and I will do better. Today I am going to cut fire wood for the winter so I will out the house for a while which is a good thing. She said that the doctor stated that the weight changes is due to water retention and to cut back on the water a little bit.