Pre-op Diet plans

Missourimedic
on 9/17/14 9:28 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

So what is your pre-op diet that your doctor put you on and for how many days?

So today is day 5 of my 18 day pre-op diet before my clear liquid diet. So What I have been having is different flavors of protein shakes, SF jello, chicken broth and lots of water. So my weight has been going up and down during these 5 days, I believe due to all the water intake which I take a water pill because I retain water and have high blood pressure. It seems like I can be real good only one day and them the next day I cheat with a few slices of lunch meat or like 5 egg noodles, or a hand full of mixed nuts. I does not help that I live with 2 people that are not on the diet and they have tons of crap food like chips, dips, lunch meat, and all the things that are real bad for me.  So it can be real hard sometimes see that food laying around. But anyway I am just complaining that is all. So to next time

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/17/14 9:45 am

I didn't have a preop diet, but I was strongly encouraged to eat protein first, limit carbs, and stop drinking with meals, so I did that. Then the day before surgery I was on clear liquids only. However, I was on liquids only for three weeks post op.

I agree that it would be very hard to live with people who have junk when you are on liquids. You can do it, though. Are you on shakes and liquids until surgery?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Missourimedic
on 9/17/14 9:53 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Yes one shake in the morning one for lunch, and then fish, chicken, or eggs and salad for dinner, until 5 days prior to the surgery them clear liquids only

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/17/14 10:12 am

That's a tough one, but you can do it!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/17/14 10:13 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I was on my preop diet for four weeks because my BMI was so high  

I drank four to five protein shakes a day, then had a Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine frozen meal.  I could add vegetables like broccoli if I was still hungry. 

It's very hard, especially in the beginning when you're coming off of carbs.  Your weight will fluctuate if you eat salty things like nuts and noodles which will cause water retention.  I remember my husband eating like he always did when I was on the preop diet, and staring at his food.  I wanted to smell it just to get the rush.  But I was so committed to having the surgery and being successful that I stayed on plan, even at my company's Christmas party.  I didn't even drink alcohol - that's how serious I was.  

Every pound you lose before surgery is one less pound you have to battle with after surgery.  I told myself that I've eaten enough cheeseburgers and fries in the past to overcompensate for giving them up now.  It's all about priorities and choices.  Hang in there.  You can do it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Missourimedic
on 9/17/14 10:54 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

I had a BMI of 61 when I started it is now down to 58.6. That is way I have the long liquid diet

InTransition
on 9/17/14 10:15 am
RNY on 09/08/14

I had to do 10 days full liquid diet.  I did protein shakes, sf pudding with pb2 in it, consomme and broths.  

It wasn't FUN, but it wasn't THAT bad, except when my family was having dinner (my husband is an insanely good cook) or when they brought home fast food, which KILLED ME - but I didn't cheat!

Gwen M.
on 9/17/14 10:27 am, edited 9/17/14 10:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might consider finding a therapist to add to your team of health professionals.  Cheating on the pre-op diet isn't great, but if you cheat on the post-op diet when your stomach is healing, you could potentially kill yourself.  So as soon as you can start working on shoring up your defenses, the better.  

My pre-op diet was 5 shakes a day for 10 days - no solid food.  Only shakes.  For 2 months before that I was having two shakes a day and one meal, but that was of my own free will.  Then I was on full liquids for another two weeks after surgery.  I was pretty tired of liquids by the end of those first two weeks! 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chilipepper
on 9/17/14 12:08 pm

You must do what they tell you. I told you the other day. An egg is much better than noodles.

if you continue to cheat..you won't lose enough weight and they will cancel your surgery. It's your choice.

ask if you can have a turkey and cheese roll between meals to curb the cravings. They may let you.  

This is a serious surgery and you must get serious...don't blame the people in the house and what they eat..you control your destiny.  Get out of the house and go for a walk. You are sabatoging your future because you can't control yourself 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Missourimedic
on 9/18/14 12:56 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Yes I know and I thank you I am work on this and yes I am committed to losing the weight. Thank you for the stern hand I need that.