Has anyone post op ate carbs and lost weight?

White Dove
on 9/18/14 12:22 am - Warren, OH

Ladytazz gave you the answer that you can honestly share with your friend.

She can eat all the bad carbs, French fries, breads, rice, sugar, pastry, pasta, noodles, candy, sugar, etc. and she will lose weight.

But all the weight will come back.  If she wants to lose the weight and keep it off then she has to give up eating the bad carbs.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/18/14 2:09 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Everyone's medical situation is different, including surgical advice and post-op meal plans. What has worked for someone here may not work for your friend.

I'd suggest sending her a link to this site so she can read on her own.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NikkyBeauty
on 9/18/14 1:59 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thanks everyone I shared as much info with her from Yall as possible and the question was pretty much answered so thanks everyone for being so helpful!!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Friends K.
on 9/20/14 6:05 am
RNY on 01/14/14

I regularly eat open faced sandwiches on whole grain bread. I eat whole wheat tortillas. I eat fruit and yogurt daily.  Since week 3 post surgery. I am very comfortable eating sources of carbohydrates at eat meal. I'm pretty new after only 8 months. But cravings in my world are only head hunger and have nothing  to do with real hunger.  Eating carbohydrates does change my head hunger at all. I still have to deploy all my skills each day. It is easier to avoid sweets when my pouch is full and my pouch feels full when I consume dense protein.

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

Heather B.
on 9/23/14 12:12 am - Wyandotte, MI

Here is a link to an article about bariatric surgery and carbs:

http://www.drsimpson.net/weight-loss/weight-loss-1/n3-4-Diet-after-weight-loss-surgery/Carbohydrates/Carbohydrates.html

So, from my understanding, white carbs (sugar, potatoes, white bread, rice, etc) are the one thing that none of the surgeries mal-absorb, defeating the purpose of such an invasive procedure. I ate carbs with my sleeve after my initial loss and gained back. The DS is a little different but I still would try to avoid them. I revised to RNY and I lost pretty slowly with some carbs included. There will be peaks and plateaus of lost.  With RNY and Sleeve, however, there are peaks and valleys in the loss. You lose for several weeks, then stop, then lose again and stop.  My surgeon only said it was the last thing we should eat to fill up (like eat meat, veggies, then carbs) but, never said cut them out all together. They did me a disservice.

I am 5 mos out from my revision and 3 years out from my sleeve.  I, just yesterday, in fact, have cut all extraneous carbs out which I should have done from the start. There is very little nutritional value in white carbs so, filling up on them and not eating protein could help one become malnourished which is a real threat from DS especially. These surgeries are not a magic wand, they are a tool and you can eat around the positive effects in time. She may lose for awhile but, it will be slower and may be a problem in the future. This is not an easy process by any means, and is very tough mentally for some (me, for example). Regain is quite possible and it is best to change your relationship with food and your diet overall while the surgery has the most impact.

Heather B. 
VSG on 11/28/11
Revision to RNY on 04/28/14

huskergalWsD
on 11/9/14 2:30 am

Yes I eat carbs and lose weight. its the fat grams I watch out for. If I eat too may fat grams per day I gain. To lose weight I consume no more than 25 grams of fat per day. More than that I stay the same or regain, depending on how much exercise I do.I cut the fat grams and I lose the weight again. Continuing to exercise of course.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~