Has anyone post op ate carbs and lost weight?

Gwen M.
on 9/16/14 11:56 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm not entirely sure how a no carb diet is even possible, or healthy!  No vegetables?!  Yikes.  

I'm 6 months out from VSG, 9 months out from changing my lifestyle, and I've lost 101 pounds so far.  I eat carbs.  I limit refined/processed carbs as much as possible, but I got sushi last night and will be having a few pieces for lunches for the next few days.  (I do this every 2-3 months.)  I eat the occasional bite of potato.  I eat vegetables and fruits.  I have almond milk for my shakes which has a small amount of carbs.  

A true zero carb diet seems both impossible and very unhealthy.  If your friend was my friend, I'd advise her to make healthy carb choices instead of trying to go no carb and then making poor carb choices.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/14 2:48 am - OH

No veggies, no fruit, no dairy, no beans, no whole grains at all?  Yeah... Not healthy at all!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

56sunShine14
on 9/17/14 1:31 am

A lot if not all of the reason your friend is always hungry is BECAUSE she is eating carbs.  High density protein like chicken, tuna, eggs, etc. will keep her full enough to get through the day, not carbs.  You could tell her that.  But, in reality, she may not listen to you.  You are trying to be a good friend but when someone is telling us "no", we don't tend to like that much. 

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/14 2:54 am - OH

Not all carbs are created equal and not all crabs make you crave carbs.  Dairy, beans, fruits  and veggies aren't the same as rice, pasta, potatoes, and bread/crackers.

Many people (like me) get a lot of their protein from dairy products and -- although I cannot speak for anyone else --I have never heard of anyone craving carbs because they were eating cheese and Greek yogurt!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kathkeb
on 9/17/14 3:33 am

You may need to clarify exactly what your friend means by "carbs".

Is she eating lettuce and spinach and broccoli, or Cheetos and pretzels and sugary simple carbs.

Complex carbs are pretty necessary for a earthy diet, simple carbs are not.

Kath

NikkyBeauty
on 9/17/14 10:31 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

No no no all the bad stuff chips,French fries,French toast  etc... She grown ass hell so I can't slap her hand but I feel like the weight loss police when I'm around her lol!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Kate -True Brit
on 9/17/14 9:46 pm - UK
On September 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM Pacific Time, NikkyBeauty wrote:

No no no all the bad stuff chips,French fries,French toast  etc... She grown ass hell so I can't slap her hand but I feel like the weight loss police when I'm around her lol!

Hard!  She is self-sabotaging big time! But people often get defensive if this is pointed out. Hopefully her medical team will pick up on this and guide her. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ladytazz
on 9/17/14 6:33 am

I had a DS in 2002 and I ate carbs freely and lost a lot of weight in the first 2 years.  I thought I had found the holy grail.  Nirvana.  I ate whatever I wanted and lost weight.

Then at almost exactly 2 years out the scale went the other direction, to almost complete regain.

Simple carbs, like sugar, are absorbed 100% no matter what WLS.  They are also likely the reason that many of us wound up on the operating table in the first place.

Aside from the weight gain, as others have mentioned, the side effects were not pleasant.  But I was in my addiction, and yes, I believe I AM addicted.  Can't speak for anyone else but I could not stop no matter the consequences.

Now, after a revision (not due to regain) I finally figured out that sugar and refined carbs and I don't work well.  Do I eat carbs?  Yes, I don't restrict them at this point but they are pretty much all from things like fruits, vegetables, dairy and grains, and only after I have eating my protein.  

It is funny to me that I had surgery on my body to deal with a problem that I believe originates in my mind but it has helped me to eat better, helping me be more satisfied with smaller amounts.  But no WLS is a cure for eating issues.  At some point the chickens come home to roost.  Very few get a free ride.  At some point the bill comes due.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/17/14 9:26 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I eat carbs post op & still lose weight, but I do limit the amount of carbs I eat along with the type of carbs that I eat. I try to stay away from simple refined carbs like sugar & bread, crackers etc & to put protein in along with any carbs that I do have. I think balance is key to all this weight loss but your friend should listen to her drs & nutritionist. I do think eating too many simple carbs will leave you hungry, protein will curb that hunger., putting protein first won't allow for much room for carbs, getting past the carb withdrawal can be hard, but it can be done.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

TexasTerritory
on 9/17/14 10:27 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Different surgeries-different answers... With my VSG, I avoid carbs as much as possible. I target 40-20mg daily. I don't have carvings but if I did, I would have to fight the craving. Carbs are not good for me.