started pre-op diet

Bubbles314
on 9/16/14 7:44 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I started the liquid diet and oh what a headache.  I cannot have any food.  Only 800 calories daily in protein shakes and other sugar free liquids.  Three weeks to do this, "I think I can, I think I can"  slow and steady I want to be successful and not cheat because I want to do this right.  If I cheat now I know I will cheat later, Praying for God to help me out when I am not so cooperative.

Chilipepper
on 9/16/14 8:13 am

You can do it!  The first few days are the hardest. Drink lots of water and get moving. Start walking. I live on Powerade zero. Its better for you than crystal light. It will help with the yucky feeling and is totally ok on your preop. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Bubbles314
on 9/16/14 8:48 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Chilipepper

Thanks I was feeling sorry for myself.  How weird is this I have Powerada Zero.  Thanks for the tips I will start walking.

Have you already had the surgery?

Chilipepper
on 9/16/14 9:00 am

Yes. 7 yrs ago. The first few days of carb cleansing is the hardest. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

kathkeb
on 9/16/14 10:37 am

The first few days are the toughest.

I did 26 weeks of Medifast one time ..... 800 calories of liquid shakes a day ..... It is do-able.

Some pointers ....

A list of things to do besides eat (drink) when it is not mealtime.

Warm liquids can be soothing .... I mixed my evening chocolate shake with a little decaf coffee and warm water to make it like a hot cocoa/mocha

Brush,floss, gargle to freshen your mouth between shakes ... And drink plenty of water in between shakes

Nap, take warm baths, talk on the phone, work puzzles, read, knit, whatever it takes to distract yourself.

Expect headaches the first several days as you detox from sugar and carbs.

It gets easier and it is SO worth it!!!

Kath

beckern727
on 9/17/14 9:14 am - San Diego

Hi, 

Of course is do-able!  I had the gatorade zero as well.  The headaches are normal when you are withdrawing from the carbs and sugar.  Just keep a positive attitude and remember: one day a time.  Everything will be worth it, you'll see!  

Good luck

Nicole Becker

Sleeved by Dr. Rafael Abril in Mexicali B.C.

May 2014

beckern727
on 9/17/14 9:16 am - San Diego

meant powerade zero which is not the same LOL :)

Nicole Becker

Sleeved by Dr. Rafael Abril in Mexicali B.C.

May 2014

highdesertblue
on 9/17/14 10:58 am - AZ
highdesertblue
on 9/17/14 11:00 am - AZ

I haven't reached the point of a pre-op diet, but it makes me nervous! I just saw a study that says if you play a game like computer solitaire, after a few minutes you will forget you cravings. I am going to try it! Praying that you will ease into the new nutrition program!

kathkeb
on 9/17/14 12:24 pm

Hi, I don't know what part of AZyou are in, but there are several WLS support groups in Tucson that welcome pre-ops and offer great ideas for all phases of the journey!

Kath