Preparing for Gastric Bypass

readytoloose65
on 9/15/14 2:39 pm - Rockford, IL

Hello! I'm a 49 and READY to start a NEW chapter in my life! I have battled obesity ALL my life. I'd like to know how long the process takes form point A to point ?? Is there anything that I can do to help move the process faster? lol How do I get other's to understand that this isn't the "easy" way out for my weight loss. Living in this life has been a struggle. Any information on the topic is greatly welcomed. Thank You!

Member Services
on 9/16/14 4:03 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else.  

PS...if you have not done so post this on the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY) to for more responses.

MsBatt
on 9/16/14 9:52 am

No one can tell you how long YOUR journey will take, because it depends on so very many different things. Some insurance policies require a pre-op, doctor-supervised diet, and these can be anywhere from 3 months to a year long. Also, different policies require different pre-op tests. Your surgeon may also have some specific things he requires, too. And there's always the matter of how far out your surgeon is booked. I saw my surgeon on 10/30 and had surgery on 12/11, but I didn't have to do a pre-op diet. Also, since I was traveling about 2 hours from home for surgery, my surgeon's office worked with me and arranged for all my pre-op testing to be done on the same day. (That was one busy day, but it was worth it!)

No advice here about speeding things up. Just try to be patient but persistent. Stay in regular contact with your insurance company and your surgeon's office. NEVER assume just because someone tells you paperwork has been sent in means it really has. (*grin*)

As for convincing others that WLS isn't the easy way out---you'll be a lot happier if you simply ignore their opinions. For ME, WLS has been remarkably easy, in comparison to traditional 'diet and exercise'---and a damned sight more effective, too. Ask them why, if they truly care about you, they want you to have to do things the hard way. That'll usually shut 'em up. (*grin*)

Now, for some unasked-for advice---research EVERYTHING. There are four forms of WLS: LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. You need to understand them ALL before deciding which one is best for you. Each one works differently, gives different results, asks different things from you post-op, and impacts any medical concerns differently. No one can choose FOR you, and no one can DO this for you. Pick the form of WLS most likely to give you the things YOU want and can live happily with, for the rest of your life.

readytoloose65
on 9/17/14 4:16 am - Rockford, IL

MsBat- Thank you so very much for your words of experience and wisdom. I've been doing my research and following up on the status of my insurance company reviewing my case. I'm a double edge sword so to speak in that I don't have serious pre-existing conditions that hinder my health but at the weight (5'6' 247lbs.) I'am at it can/could be the beginning of some such as heart disease which runs on my father's side. Will this impact the possibility of my insurance covering the procedure?

I live in Rockford and most likely will be having surgery at Loyola so the convenience of having the pre-op testing is there (thank goodness). I've researched the doctors, their success percentages, the complications and what procedures they've preformed. I'm aware of the risks, possible complications and the life changes that I will need to follow. Bring it on! I'll be turning 50 next year and I'm ready to start living the new life that 's been said starts at this age lol.

As far as the people who roll their eyes for making this decision...whatever! This is me! MY body! MY life! I know what I've done, tried, succeeded at and failed. I've been pointed at, talked about and snickered at all for not meeting what society sees as an acceptable looking person, as much as I can say "I'm over it" I'd be lying. I've endured it my entire life and it has whittled away at my self esteem until it's almost non-existent. I know that I'll never be "the gorgeous" type but I KNOW that I CAN and WILL be "the OMG!" type when I walk by other people!... Let the transformation BEGIN!