"You really made some people mad about that one"

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/14 4:23 am, edited 9/15/14 4:23 am

Today I had a session with the therapist, and we talked about this. He began with what we were working on at the last session with my Behaviors, Emotions, Situations, Thoughts, and Results. He also gave me a few worksheets to fill out and start focusing on: the problem, what triggers me to eat a certain food, and the positive and negative coping strategies. I am willing to work at this in order to become more mindful.

kellybelly333
on 9/15/14 4:40 am - Toronto, Canada

Your mom is not you. Those donuts are none of your business. I hate having things in my home that I shouldn't have too, but with four healthy kids in the house, it is impossible. We don't have a ton of junk. Very little, but what we do have (cookies) call to me all the time. I'm 3.5 years post surgery and I can eat cookies. Should I? Not unless I can have one and leave it at that (mindful eating). But most of the time, I can't. Do not put blame on another person. I will not blame my children for being able to eat cookies. It is my own actions and control that I have to deal with it daily. You will learn to do this too. I'm glad you have therapy, and I hope your situation with your mom improves. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/15/14 5:37 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Resisting sweets can be hard & surgery won't work on your cravings for them. Hopefully working with a therapist you'll come up with ways to cope with them. You already know eating the donuts was not a good idea & your mom will buy what she wants to buy. Everyone gives in to temptation at some point, the degree varies from person to person. At least you know where you messed up & you didn't go all out & eat more food that you shouldn't eat. Get back to basics!, and find ways to deal with the next box of donuts, cakes, cookies or whatever will come your way, the nxt temptation will always be rt around the corner, how you deal with it is up to you. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MsBatt
on 9/15/14 8:24 am

I've been reading your posts for a while now, and I really don't think you're ready to have WLS. I think you're too immature to embrace the changes that only YOU can make in your life.

Yeah, your mom bought donuts. So what? YOU chose to eat them. Donuts, and all sorts of other yummy foods, are going to be available to you FOREVER.

And, yeah, if most of us could just choose to NOT EAT those yummy foods, we wouldn't be fat, right? WRONG!!! Obesity is a much more complex problem than just not eating donuts.

Chilipepper
on 9/15/14 8:37 am

MsBatt is just keeping it real!!  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/15/14 9:25 am

Ms. Batt raises a good point. You will be presented with situations in which you cannot control all the food. Someone brought in a big box of donuts to my office on Friday. I didn't eat them, but they were there and they smelled great. I'm far enough out that I could have eaten some. I didn't because it just isn't worth it to me.

It will be helpful to you if you learn some strategies for navigating around food and also that people will not always accommodate you even in your own home.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/15/14 11:45 am

You voiced what a lot off us were thinking: she is not ready to have surgery.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/15/14 10:40 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Looks like she deactivated.  Sometimes the truth can be too painful.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

NuMe_80
on 9/15/14 11:00 am

I hope she gets the help she needs .. from what I understand it's dangerous and potentially life threatening to

eat the wrong things after surgery.. can cause all sorts of health issues .. or am I mistaken?

There was a poster not too long ago who ended up in the hospital with issues from eating foods she shouldn't

Sorry the ID escapes me ATM .. but it scared me bad enough I know I will be in compliance of the diet the Dr, staff and nut advises.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/15/14 11:31 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

According to her posts she is seeing a therapist hopefully she'll learn to be able to take criticism & not run away from it, i.e. deactivate.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/