Getting my gastric sleeve on the 24th and starting to feel nervous

trin123
on 9/16/14 2:19 am

I am excited about getting done and the opportunity I have been given but I am just really nervous something is going to happen during the surgery. Who has had this procedure and did it go well? Was recovery hard and long?

Member Services
on 9/16/14 3:18 am - Irvine, CA

Hello 

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery date!  It's normal to be nervous, give your surgeon's office a call if you have any procedure questions.  Do you have a support group via the surgeon's office you go to? Be sure and stay connected to those that are going through what you are.  Support in numbers!  If you have not done so post this on the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG) for more replies from those that have had the surgery you are having.

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/16/14 5:13 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It went very well.  I was walking around the hospital several times on the night I had surgery.  They had me hooked up to a pain pump and I did not feel anything.  I spent two nights in the hospital and didn't need any pain meds when I came home.  I took four weeks off from work just to rest, heal and figure out how to incorporate the new way of eating into my lifestyle.

The recovery was easy.  I was tired in the beginning, but only because my body is try to heal from major surgery.  You'll be fine.  It's normal to be worried, but think about the benefits you'll enjoy after the surgery is over.  The first month is tough just getting used to your new stomach and its idiosyncrasies, but you will learn how to adapt.  Best of luck to you!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

JenniD
on 9/22/14 7:02 am

Congrats! 

Don't sweat the small stuff. Trust your surgeon! I am 1 week post op and feel amazing! 11 lbs down already. My family and I sit and eat together (I "eat" liquid) and I am not even bothered by it! The pain is very manageable. In the evening is when I personally had the most pain, almost like I had time to think about it. I stayed 2 nights and was home before noon on the third. I took a pain pill that night (the ride was difficult) and have't taken anything else. WALK WALK WALK as much as possible. The hospital I was at had a loop hallway that was 1/4 mile, and I pulled my IV behind me in my nightie and slippers and did laps. it helped so much! Each day at home I push myself to do a little more. You WILL be tired, take advantage of down time and take a nap, it does wonders. I was frustrated by how tired I was at first, but it gets better. Ask your nurses questions, they are there to help. LISTEN to your surgeon and follow the restrictions given and LISTEN to your body! I hope this helps ease some fears, I know I was a mess too. Good Luck! 

JenniD
on 9/22/14 7:05 am

PS. Before you leave, you may want to talk to the Dr. about gas pains. You WILL have them, for most people it passes after a few days and walking helps, but for some reason I could not pass it or have a Bowel movement. I ended up calling the on call Dr. because it was so bad and he recommenced milk of magnesia and chewable Gas-X, which helped a lot, but get clearance from your Dr. first if you have that problem! :)