Protein drink suggestions?

NikkyBeauty
on 9/15/14 7:57 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I'm currently pre-op but I'd like to try a protein drink/shake, we sampled a protein shake at the orientation and it was the worst thing I've ever tasted! Of course the dietitian was overly excitedly saying "you better get use to these" while she was bouncing off the walls, downing them left and right like they were the best thing smoking lol! Anywho I'd just like to try some like the kind I'll will be drinking post op! Should they be sugar free? And I'm going to walmart  I've seen some by the Kellogg's brand, but I'm not sure if those are the right kinds! Any suggestions will be helpful please keep in mind I'm going to walmart and I just want to try some or something similar to what I'll be drinking post op!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/15/14 8:44 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Don't go nuts on protein shakes rt now cuz your tastes might change post op. Some drinks you like now might taste terrible after surgery Me, I was fortunate that my tastes didn't change post op. Go for smaller sample sized protein powders, some of these stores sell by the tub, but I took a chance & bought the choc peanut butter by body fortress, really good. Walmart sells them, I buy online, also try Chike coffee, oh that really tastes good & I get a good amt of protein to start the day, I mix mine with soy milk for an additional protein shot.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Gwen M.
on 9/15/14 9:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I use double rich chocolate or peanut butter cookie and I make them with unsweetened original almond milk in a Blender Bottle.  My tastes didn't change at all with surgery, thank goodness.  

A lot of the ready to drink shakes are VERY high in carbs and calories, so be sure to read the label.  You want something with a minimum of 20 grams of protein per serving and closer to 30 grams is better.  I try to stick between 0-5 grams of carbs in my shakes.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amy M.
on 9/15/14 10:39 am, edited 9/15/14 10:42 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

You may want to pick up some samples before you go all out and buy a bucket because they are quite expensive.  You can get samples from GNC.  I am personally fond of the Optimum Nutrition Gold standard protein.  I love the cookies and cream and the chocolate peanut butter (hydrolized) flavors.  I also mix with 8 oz of unsweetened original almond milk.  If you blend it up with ice and turn it into a milkshake it's quite yummy.  The perfect ratio to look for is to put a bunch of ice in your blender, put in just enough milk to cover the ice, pour in the mix, and then blend.  I was instructed to get whey protein isolate with less than 130 cal and 20-30 grams of protein.  Also look for options that are low carb, low sugar, and low fat.  Good luck!

NikkyBeauty
on 9/15/14 11:41 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thanks everyone! I just want to try them I'm not going all out just yet I've just never had a protein drink before and since I was told to "get use to them" I figure why not start trying some out! But hopefully my taste don't change after surgery I hear that ppl don't like or have a taste for things they use to have a taste for! Oh and yes I was told whey too idk what that is but thank you all again I think I'll hit up gnc to get some samples!!

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Stacy H.
on 9/15/14 11:36 pm - Cumberland, IN

I use Body Fortress Advanced Whey Protein in the peanut butter chocolate flavor. I get it at Wal-Mart for $17 and drinking one per day (I'm 9yrs post op) it lasts around 3 weeks. I make mine with water rather than milk in my blender bottle and one scoop is 150 cals and 30g of protein. You def want to stay as low as you can on sugar. The one I use has only 1gm of sugar and 6gm of carbs. It is not the best thing I've ever tasted but I don't have any issue with drinking it daily, I think that's a lot of bang for buck. 

Stacy :) RNY 9/7/2005

HW-270  LW-125  GW-150

TinaInTexas
on 9/15/14 12:18 pm, edited 9/15/14 12:21 pm

I totally agree, we bought several and now I can't stand any of them now. I have to eat cottage cheese mushed up with banana's , but now it seems to take longer to get full... I am only 8 days out from surgery

Good luck to you !

Zero7621
on 9/15/14 1:59 pm

8 days out of surgery eating cottage cheese and bananas? There's something not right with that.

NYMom222
on 9/15/14 1:48 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree with buying sample sizes, and don't overstock... your tastes could change. Mine did. I am 7 weeks out and a week ago I couldn't stomach the shakes. Someone at the support group suggested Fit Frappe Coffee. My new friend.    I actually use one scoop and then add plain protein powder (equal to 10g protein) and milk and water. My surgeons guidelines were at least 20g protein and no more than 5g sugar. A lot of people drink Premier brand for a ready-to-drink option. They sell it at Costco, BJ's and other places. It has 30g protein.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

snoopygirl1968
on 9/16/14 12:24 am - Lisle, IL
VSG on 09/09/14 with

I found that I like the Premier Protein shakes, I had those pre-op and post-op.  I also experiment with making my own.  There is a great blog out there, theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com that has wonderful recipes for shakes, smothies, protein ice cream....all kinds of good stuff.  Try checking her out.

follow my journey:  http://snoopygirljourney.blogspot.com