post op meds help

sierrajuliet
on 9/14/14 3:29 pm

I'm almost 2 weeks out on the back side of surgery & all my meds have to be crushed before I can take them.  I take several each day and many of them are so bitter I gag while trying to get them down.  I've tried mixing them in a little bit of my protein shake (nasty!), unsweetened applesauce (never again!), and mixing w/ liquid vitamins (another bad idea).  I know my choices will be easier once I can have solid food again but for the next few days I need some ideas...anyone have any suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 9/15/14 1:38 am - OH

Why do they have to be crushed?  The ASMBS says it's OK to swallow pills whole as soon as you can tolerate doing so and many people are able to tolerate it right away.  I was swallowing pills the same day as my surgery.  You might want to discuss it with your surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 9/15/14 1:39 am - UK

Which surgery have you had? It makes an enormous difference. I never crushed meds, just split them or got the liquid versions. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sierrajuliet
on 9/19/14 8:40 pm

I had a gastric sleeve & bypass.  My surgeon had to do both to repair the mess I made of a previous stomach stapling.  Ibuprofen was great for my back but destroyed the staple line.  I started @ 249 & as of this past Wednesday have lost 31 lbs ; Surgery was 2 weeks ago.  I still have a long way to go but am already feeling so much better!