Advice on telling your children you are having bariatric surgery

MyJourney-2014
on 9/14/14 4:37 am
VSG on 09/16/14 with

I am new to this forum and would like some advice as to how to speak to my children about my upcoming surgery (sleeve scheduled for this Tuesday). My children are 13 and 10 years old. I'm hesitant to tell them exactly what I'm having done as I don't want them to think that this is a shortcut and that they will be able to eat whatever they want and later, they can just have a surgery to fix it. I want to be truthful with them, but also put it in terms they would understand. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

zoomom07
on 9/14/14 9:04 am

My kids are 13. At this age, they are pretty aware that I have struggled with my weight for a long time. They've seen me on many different diets and unfortunately have seen me fail. I was honest with them. I told them that, as they know, I've I have tried very hard to lose weight and not been successful, so I am having surgery that would help me with this because I want to be healthy. They understood as far as I could tell. 

Your kids have lived with you their whole lives and have probably seen you struggle, so I doubt they'll think you're taking the easy way out. Even if they do initially, they will probably think otherwise in the years to come when you are being a role model of healthy eating, excercise and taking care of yourself.

MyJourney-2014
on 9/14/14 1:33 pm
VSG on 09/16/14 with

Great advice and very good points. Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 9/14/14 11:57 am, edited 9/14/14 11:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

At that age, kids are pretty smart and aware.  I'd be 100% honest with them and answer any questions they have.  They'll see that you're still doing a lot of hard work and that surgery isn't a magic wand.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MyJourney-2014
on 9/14/14 1:33 pm
VSG on 09/16/14 with

Agree. Thanks GwenMo

AngryViking
on 9/14/14 10:22 pm, edited 9/14/14 10:30 pm
RNY on 07/17/14

I think your kids are plenty mature enough and will appreciate your just being honest and straightforward with them.  When I told my son about the surgery he was 8.  I told him I wanted to be more active and that my size was preventing me from doing that.  I said that I was having trouble losing weight and getting healthy and that I was going to have surgery on my stomach to help me with that.  He took a minute to process it and has been my #1 cheerleader ever since.  He has seen me struggle so he knows this is not some magic bullet of weight loss.

DelilahJO
on 9/14/14 10:39 pm

I have an 8 yr old daughter and I haven't told her i had my surgery. She does know that in May i had surgery but not what for. I do think she would understand however i have chosen to keep my surgery private from most people and at her age don't want it to be her responsibility to not let it slip. I figure I will tell her when she is a little older. However the responses here do have me wondering, does she realize I am skinnier? She hasn't mentioned it to me at all? Or asked? She has asked why we are all eating better and I have just said so we are healthy and she and her sister have good eating habits as adults. 

MyJourney-2014
on 9/15/14 12:52 pm
VSG on 09/16/14 with

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We Talked to the kids tonight and it went really well. Even better than expected. Thank you!