Head hunger or really hunger

Marlene D.
on 9/12/14 9:15 pm

9 days out RYN... Starting weight 316--surgery weight 283--- today's weight 276.8 also think I am not losin very fast after surgery.. I drink 8 oz protien shake breakfast lunch and dinner I put unflavored Unjury protien powder in my minday crystal lite.. I have jello and policies and plenty of water. EXample 72g of protein yesterday and 64 oz of water and other foms of liquid.. And I find myself being not famished but a tad hungry and of course I know this part is head hunger my mouth waters thinking or talking about food.. Am I taking in to much liquids and anyone else do or feel like this?

Marlene

jenorama
on 9/12/14 9:29 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You seem like you're doing great so far! Do what you can and don't worry about too much liquid at this point--the more the better! As for hunger, if you're feeling a desire for a specific thing, it's most likely head hunger. When I feel like that, I usually make myself wait about 20 minutes and if I still feel hungry, then I'll eat something. Usually I forget about eating, indicating that I wasn't hungry after all. 

Jen

Kate -True Brit
on 9/12/14 11:12 pm - UK

Can't comment specifically as I am not bypassed. But IMO, the distinction between physical and head hunger is meaningless! Both make you want food! At this early stage, you may well simply have to live with hunger (as  I say, I am not bypassed) but later they both need to be dealt with! 

My own experience (after the regulated post-op diet) is that if I feel hunger, I want to eat. Then I start to think about food. The it gets steadily harder! So my first action is to get busy! Quite often, the thoughts of food go away. If they don't, then I eat; something which is a good choice, which is filling. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

lburrell
on 9/13/14 12:46 pm

6-7 pounds in 9 days is great! Before surgery it would have taken me over a month to lose 7 pounds. Be patient with yourself and don't compare your loss to others cause we hold/lose weight differently. Keep on keeping on!

RNY 7/28/14 - HW 312 (1/9/14) - SW 263. CW 164 (3/28/15)

Marlene D.
on 9/14/14 12:08 am

Thanks everyone!!! I love this group, WE R NOT ALONE! :)

Marlene

Bonnie250
on 9/14/14 12:55 am
RNY on 08/25/14

what you are feeling is totally NORMAL!! You are doing great!

Bonnie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/14/14 4:15 am - OH

I'm not sure how much weight you expected to lose in just 9 days, but you are NOT losing "slowly".

There is no need for you to worry about taking in too much liquid (unless, of course, you are downing many gallons). Many people can (and do) drink relatively normally almost right after WLS.

If your mouth is watering thinking or talking about food, that is head hunger.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.